Swinging arm lubrication solution

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Swinging arm lubrication solution

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning all,

Just thought I might share this as it solved a problem I thought I might encounter. I have read and heard that difficulties had been encountered when attempting to lubricate the swinging arm. I dealt with it like this. I pulled out an old , small, oil can ( see picture) that I bought abroad for about €1.50. It has a fine oiling spout and a fine nozzle. I put the oil in the can and then placed the can and contents in very hot water and left it for five minutes. Inserted nozzle into filler hole of swinging arm, few pumps and job done! Filled it to just overflow point with no effort or trauma.
Now, apologies if this is not news, not a good tip or already known. It worked for me so , like others have done for me, I pass it on in the hope that someone finds it helpful.

Regards to all,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Swinging arm lubrication solution

Post by dave16mct »

Good tip, that's a nice little oilcan. Some members do seem to have trouble getting the oil in the swinging arm bearing. My problem is keeping it in there! On my latest build it leaked from the spoke at both ends. I eventually sealed it with Wellseal and tapped the end with a punch. (If you look at the spoke's flaired end, it has raised ridges so I presume they were preventing a good seal.)
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave,
I noticed a bit of a ‘drip’ from the pin end of the seal. Bit difficult to tighten as pin revolves when tightening and no easy way of access to prevent this. Not to worry, not so bad, won’t loose any sleep over it! The one strange thing was that oil would not pump out of the can until I removed the brass nozzle and charged the pipe prior to replacing it. It’s a bit ironic but it was a real cheapo oil can which , due to its thin can, was easy to heat the oil up with hot water.
Cheers

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Just looked on a famous online site and an saw an identical oil can ( different Chinese name!) for £8!
Get one from a Chino Bazar when next in Spain for only €1.50! In fact, what a good excuse to go on holiday!

Steve :beer:
clive

Post by clive »

I use a small syringe which you can buy at the pharmacy, no need for the needle as the end will enter the screw hole. Need to refill it a few times to top up. I use a larger one to fill the forks but they are measured in ml so have to convert from the 6 1/2 or 10 fl oz that is specified, hurrah for the internet conversion tool!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:38 pm I use a larger one to fill the forks but they are measured in ml so have to convert from the 6 1/2 or 10 fl oz that is specified,
I use these for the forks and primary drive.
Top-up pot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Ingenious!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I replace the screw cap with a grease nipple and use a banner gun filled with 140 oil.