1955 rear brake rod

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

1955 rear brake rod

Post by Tazmantic »

Is this correct as the brake rod is rubbing on the rear pillion reg mount, I believe it’s the correct rod as bought from the club and I’m sure the 1955 model went this way round (adjuster at the wheel) but it’s quite tight on the peg, also it seems to screw up quite a lot I’m thinking the brake pads are a bit worn

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1955 rear brake rod

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I guess that is in the 'brake off' position so from the photo angle it looks as though you need to add washers under the brake shoes' thrust pins which should also 'lift' the rod just clear of the footrest.
It's all described (with illustrations) on pages 70 and 71 in your Owners Manual.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

In pictures of the complete bike Neville you can clearer see, the rod is adjusted up almost to its limits. The plate lever arm is pointing forwards, not backwards. Either the linings are very worn and / or the mushrooms want pacing with washers, as you stated. Primary and rear chain should be adjusted first
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 pm In pictures of the complete bike Neville you can clearer see, the rod is adjusted up almost to its limits. The plate lever arm is pointing forwards, not backwards. Either the linings are very worn and / or the mushrooms want pacing with washers, as you stated. Primary and rear chain should be adjusted first
Indeed so, Rob. It's unfortunate that owners' fettling is delayed through being unaware of the comprehensive content in the various free manuals and having to wait for someone to make time to reply to Forum questions and/or provide a link to the relevant page in the manual.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

most likely the wrong brake pedal , under no circumstances should the rod hit the foot peg even if out of adjustment
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks for the reply's guys it was more the rod rubbing (which I now think I've realised the reason) than the brake wear I was concerned about as being forward or back from the vertical would basically put the arm at the same height I would of thought. manuals explain adjustment but not issues that In my case could be caused by incorrect parts being fitted by a previous owner which has been the case in the past (brake pedal could be wrong). Ill know not to ask any questions in the future.

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:13 pm Thanks for the reply's guys it was more the rod rubbing .......as being forward or back from the vertical would basically put the arm at the same height
It depends upon the degree of contact between the brake rod and the pillion peg which I don't know. The clevis at the end of the brake arm prescribes an arc so if the rod only lightly contacts the pillion peg the rod in the 'brake off' position will be slightly higher than the brief periods when the brake is 'On'.

Tazmantic wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:13 pm I'll know not to ask any questions in the future.
No problem at all with questions; that's what Forums are for. Many owners are simply not aware of the vast amount of factory documentation that's available. Very few questions haven't been asked and answered before. I've been helping out for 16 years and have a good idea what info is available and always provide links to it when relevant, but I'm old and would like to feel that new owners are fully aware of the resources available in order to pass on the knowledge to others.
Replying can be very time consuming (and satisfying) in an effort to tease out the details from someone with an issue because when trying to help one doesn't know what one doesn't know, i.e. whether the owner has already done the basic things in the Owners or Workshop manuals or checked the parts list to see what parts should be there. Although this isn't appropriate to every enquiry it's even more difficult to advise when the bike is a mix of years.
:beer: