Front fork adjustment problem

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Front fork adjustment problem

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

Hope your all remembered to adjust your clocks the right way! I’m not sure if I got up at 0700 or 0600!
Just advice please re adjust to front forks. See photo, I’m unable to fully ‘draw’ the parts all together as the tube will not fully pull into the head lug. There is about 1/8 ins of travel left so as to fully draw up the light brackets etc into the correct positioning. Consequently, the lamp brackets are able to travel up and down. I know there is enough room and I made sure all measurements were correct on reassembly of the forks. I’ve tried a bit of force with the fork stem adjuster nut slackened off but no joy.
Any advice or tip most welcomed. Not sure if photos help but just indicates where I’m referring to.

Regards,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Re: Front fork adjustment problem

Post by G3L1946 »

Probably a better picture to explain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Are the pinch bolts in the lower yoke slack?
Have you installed the rubber buffers, 021910 between the upper covers and their trims?

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi, Mick,

Yes, 021910 buffers in place and pinch bolts in situ and tightened. When I reassembled the forks I did pay particular attention to the measurements supplied in both the 1955 manual and in an article from the 57 - 64 workshop manual regarding this particular piece of work ( pp59 ).

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Pinch bolts need to be slack when you're drawing up the stanchions

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,

I don’t possess draw rods as I used the ‘without method’ when assembling in a vice. If I release the pinch bolts won’t the whole lot just spring back? I’m a bit worried that I would then have to take it all apart and the reassemble it again. I assumed that, as long as sufficient tube was available, then the lug would be completely occupied.
Am I wrong? Every possibility I am.

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Screw in the stanchion top nuts as far as they will go, then loosen the pinch bolts and draw the stanchions up with the top nuts the last 1/8". Then adjust the play on the steering head bearings and finally tighten the pinch bolts.

(You may need a little torque on the pinch bolts if the stanchions are rotating during drawing up).

Regards Mick

Have you had the head bearings out?
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks Mick,

Yes, I replaced the head bearing and re greased. I’ll give it a go as you advised and report back.
Thanks,

Steve