1955 G3ls petrol tank fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

Re: 1955 G3ls petrol tank fitting

Post by Tazmantic »

They are the correct bolts well I hope as bought from the club, I think it’s because the start of the thread on the tank might be worn and not catching so when rubber is in it won’t do up. I have repaired one as I’d was stripped looks like I may need to do the other 3 🤦???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I cant see anything obviously untoward with the tank mounting or steering lock hopefully some other opinions will confirm that, I have just measured a couple of handlebars on bikes the straight part at the bottom are 5" and 5 1/2" as Les mentioned are yours about the same?

The rocker feed appears to have had a copper pipe soldered on it to replace the rubber joint/antivibration pipe it may be something you want to consider putting back to standard sometime.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

OMG I can’t believe that about the oil pipe, it had a rubber pipe but I looked on the parts list and as it showed a solid pipe I presumed this was another bodge so soildered the copper pipe on tonight 🤦???🤦???🤦???
Last edited by Tazmantic on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's difficult to tell from your photos but here's one of my handlebar, (supplied by AMC Classic Spares), are yours similar?
H Bar.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Few pics showing handle bars and rubber that was fitted, I’m not sure with the rubber fitted to the feed pipe it would fit between the tank or should the pipe be below the tank lug.

Cheers
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

Here are some pics with thick rubber washer below frame lug.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks for all the info guys, drilled out and welded in new threaded slugs on the other 3 fixings in the tank and now the bolts will catch with the lower rubbers on and when tightened the handle bars just miss the tank 👍
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

On the rocker feed pipe, I think the flexible piece of hose is good at preventing the fracturing of the pipe.

Personally, I use some transparent hose for a visual check that oil is going up there!

Johnny B
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

56G80S wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:24 pm On the rocker feed pipe, I think the flexible piece of hose is good at preventing the fracturing of the pipe.

Personally, I use some transparent hose for a visual check that oil is going up there!

Johnny B

Thanks Johnny B I will undo my mistake then and put in some rubber hose I just didn't think it would matter as its connected to the engine at both ends but I suppose the pipe will vibrate due to the shape and length :headbang: