Pinstripe for 1955 petrol tank request

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Pinstripe for 1955 petrol tank request

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

Does anyone have the complete (and correct) dimensions and information to enable my sign writer friend to apply the pinstripes on my 1955 G3LS ( black tank ) please? I have the download specifications from archives.Jampot.dk ( Matchless G3LS 1956 , suitable for 52-59 ) but they are incomplete. Some measurements are missing or unclear and points of radius are also subject to ‘interpretation’. The club does not seem to stock this information amongst their tank detail section. Colours we are happy with. I have a photo of the bike ( from the one held at the National Motorcycle Museum ) to assist.
Any help, as always , appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
G3L1946

Re: Pinstripe for 1955 petrol tank request

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Seems that info out there is a bit limited. I have found very little whilst trying to research it.
I have worked out the overall size and shape in question but need the dimensions ( width ) of the individual stripes and the distance between them. I can make up a template which, if any good, I can post for the future use of members.
Hopefully,

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... _52-59.pdf
I can't see any missing info??
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave,
Becomes more apparent when you print it out and try to use it. For example, bottom right - 110 . What does that allude to? 2 3/4 R from badge front screw - ‘looks’ like completed radius but it seems to be to centre line of red stripe? 5 ins. R at back….from where? 13 1/2 “ R , from where? Etc etc.
Now, maybe a draughtsman could sort that out but I’m not up to that standard neither is my sign writer ( unfortunately). What’s the overall dimensions? I think the diagram has suffered many sessions in a photostat machine and also reduced to fit onto A4 paper thus ‘cropping’ out data and reference points.

I’ll get my pencil and slide rule out and plod on!

Thanks Dave,

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Looking at it carefully I seewhat you mean. I think I would get a piece of paper and draw it out. Decide how long you want the lower stripe, then with compass set to 5" strike across 1/2" down from the centre line. That's where your 5" radius is from. Don't forget these were done by hand, just a craftsman with a brush, working by eye, so no 2 will be exactly the same.
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave,

I’ve managed to create a passable outline of the entire pinstriping by using the plan discussed, photos and other sources. Just the distances between lines need confirmation now. One thing, and you have alluded to this, no two are the same. In fact, they vary quite substantially. In particular, restored machines exhibit great variation in overall size ( area of tank covered) with some examples having the rearmost stripes almost touching the knee pads whilst others are several inches away. I’ll go by what I can see on the one at the NMM in Birmingham.
Thanks for comments,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dave16mct wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:43 pm Don't forget these were done by hand, just a craftsman with a brush, working by eye, so no 2 will be exactly the same.
Dave.
Just like this Steve. You can do it!

Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Ha ha!,

More on floor, hands, face, work bench and dog than on tank if I tried it! You volunteering! 😀

Just joking!

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

I think I’ve sorted it. If my template is successful I will post it for others to use.

Regards,

Steve
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Not sure what 1955 pin stripes are like, but have you looked at Classic Transfers site?

https://classictransfers.co.uk/product- ... matchless/
https://classictransfers.co.uk/product- ... ss/page/2/