Pinstripe for 1955 petrol tank request

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Re: Pinstripe for 1955 petrol tank request

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Peter,

Yes, thank you, I did look on the site and noted the Matchless design. They are one of the several ‘variations’ that are out there ( see my earlier comments ). With a combination of what designs I came across, and reference to historical photographs, I think I have achieved a reasonable result with my template. I considered using transfers but opted to go as ‘contemporary’ as possible with having them painted. The result will determine my success!
Thanks,

Steve
bitza

Post by bitza »

I did a tank use fine line masking , comes in various widths ,and is flexible on radiuses, you can mask up using a narrow one for the space between the lines and it leaves a sharp edge with no bleeding under the edge of the tape, if you mask the rest of the tank you can use a rattle can to spray the lines on , practice the line masking on a scrap bit first to get the feel of masking around curves , it seems hard to do but have a go and you can get a good result.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi bitza,

I’m well on the way with the job now at the sign writers. I’ll do a practice job on an old tank I have ( no use, rust bucket! ) to see if my artistic bent shines through. If I prove any good at it, maybe next time?

Thanks,

Steve
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Possible to publish or e-mail your template? I'm taking my parts to a painter today, who's also a skilled coach liner, though I fear he will have to be creative if working only out of the two templates in the Jampot archives. Have you got a paint code for the silver lining? I've found for the red paint but not for silver. I have only a small and probably very faded spot on a wheel rim as reference.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning magnusk750,

I intend to publish the template on this site but, at the moment, I await results to see if it is correct in design. Take a look at the decals mentioned earlier in this thread for assistance at this stage ( a bit of adjustment of this will provide a reasonable result ) .Cardinal red seems to be the correct colour red. Regarding silver, my sign writer has, through her professional eye, matched it so I do not know the identity or code of that colour. I will obtain this information in due course. Red line is 1/16 in wide and inner thin grey is also 1/16 ins. Wide silver lines are 3/8 ins. Distances of lines apart are as archive template. Be aware, the archive template is not to scale. See my earlier comments. As already mentioned, originally this was done freehand so no two were identical which, at least, give us a bit of flexibility!

Hope this helps,

Steve