ajs 16ms front pipe

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

ajs 16ms front pipe

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi all, the task of getting the bike together and trying to get an age related plate continues and after a chat with a couple of the guys from the club on Sunday I decided to put on the replacement rear frame I bought a few months back as the one on it had the rear foot pegs cut off and I want it to look as original as possible to get it registered to hopefully stop any issues..

Problem now is the front exhaust pipe I have puts the silencer in the wrong place (over the rear foot peg) as the previous owner wanted the off road look and looks like they bought the pipe for this, I've found a cheap front pipe on eBay (not worried about condition) but they don't say what year/model its off can any of you say if this is correct for a 55 g3l/16ms ? I will prob only use it to get it registered the go back to the other one I've attached a link. Cheers

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393077544488
Everyday’s a learning curve.
SPRIDDLER

Re: ajs 16ms front pipe

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:29 pm I will prob only use it to get it registered the go back to the other one I've attached a link.
Difficult to say for sure from the pics if it's right or not but the pipe diameter looks right for a 350.
On the Armours website they have a photo of the front pipe for a '54 to '61 350c.c.
Zorst front pipe Armours.JPG
Link to Armours here:
https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product-ca ... tchless-2/

You can obtain an age-related number even if it has a 'non-standard' style of exhaust. However, if I understand you correctly you intend to put the current one back on afterwards so I don't see any good reason to change it if it's only for 'registration' purposes.

Just to be completely clear you referred to a G3L which would have a rigid rear frame and a 16MS which would have a sprung rear frame. Which one will you have, rigid or sprung? I assume it will be a sprung rear frame as it's a '55 model but it's not always a good idea to assume, especially as the previous owner wanted an 'off-road' look as he may have fitted a rigid (trials) rear frame. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi Spriddler, thanks for the reply and sorry the frame is a 1955 matchless G3ls not a G3l so is sprung and the engine is a 1954 ajs 16ms. To fit my exhaust I’d need to remove the rear foot pegs and just worried as it also has a Norton gearbox and no lights that if they find too many abnormalities that it would get registered as a reconstructed classic 😞
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:46 pm Hi Spriddler, thanks for the reply and sorry the frame is a 1955 matchless G3ls not a G3l so is sprung and the engine is a 1954 ajs 16ms.
Ah, I see. You'll have to take a gamble that the eBay pipe will fit.
To fit my exhaust I’d need to remove the rear foot pegs..
If in the PO's attempt to make it look 'off-road' he has fitted a single seat saddle then you won't need to have rear footpegs to comply. OTOH if it has a dualseat then it must have rear footpegs - but I guess you are already aware of that.
...and just worried as it also has a Norton gearbox and no lights that if they find too many abnormalities that it would get registered as a reconstructed classic 😞
Hmm, well I think I recall from one of your previous posts that it's an AMC (used by Norton) 'box. Obviously an AMC 'box is correct for the bike's year so unless the DVLA inspector (if they ask for an inspection) is particularly cute I doubt he (she?) would know the minor difference or even that it would disqualify the application.
WRT it not having lights you can of course legitimise that by getting a 'Daytime MOT'.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks again for the reply Spriddler this it what makes this site so good the wealth of information.

If in the PO's attempt to make it look 'off-road' he has fitted a single seat saddle then you won't need to have rear footpegs to comply. OTOH if it has a dualseat then it must have rear footpegs - but I guess you are already aware of that.
He did fit a single sprung seat but it was badly done so I removed it and got a duel seat to fit as thought this would help with registering it as would look more original and no I did not know this about the seat and pegs.
Hmm, well I think I recall from one of your previous posts that it's an AMC (used by Norton) 'box. Obviously an AMC 'box is correct for the bike's year so unless the DVLA inspector (if they ask for an inspection) is particularly cute I doubt he (she?) would know the minor difference or even that it would disqualify the application.
WRT it not having lights you can of course legitimise that by getting a 'Daytime MOT'.
Yes its a Norton box and to be fair think it now looks pretty good and like you say unless they know the bikes very well hopefully wont realise though the box does have NA in front of the number, so even though its MOT exempt id still need to get an MOT on it to get it registered?

Cheers and sorry for all the questions....
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Here’s a couple of pics of gearbox in 😰😰😰
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.