Wrong throttle cable?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Re: Wrong throttle cable?

Post by clive »

G3L1946 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:21 pm Hi Duncan,

Yes, it is a replica as you have noted. The parts catalogue for 1955 does not indicate a cable with an inline adjuster ( it gives measurements the same as new cable I have supplied by club ). The photo shows the carburettor adjusters fairly well screwed in but fully adjusted out is insufficient.
I’m not sure what I could have omitted from the carburettor as it’s all there and appears to function correctly.

Await Spriddler’s findings.

Bye for now, Steve
I fitted one of the club twist grips recently but I also used a throttle stop. Listed as part number 16-011 in the 55 parts list the club lists them as throttle split barrels according to the thickness of the insert. 900705 and 900706. This would take up about 1/3 of an inch and combined with screwing out the adjuster at the carb may do the trick. (Duncan will now tell me my eyesight is poor and you have one fitted!) they often go missing if a cable breaks.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Your old throttle looks very similar to one of mine:
Old Twist Grip.png
You can buy a repro version from all the usual suspects for not much money - I can't comment on how good the match will be with the Club cable as I make all my own cables to suit their locations.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive & Mick,

Thanks for your replies. I’ll certainly look at the possibility of the throttle split barrel. In the long run I just need to match up my cable to a suitable twist grip. I say this as I’m still confident it’s the correct cable. I await Spriddler’s findings re measurements. I’ll speak to the suppliers and see what they can recommend. If I have to buy a new twist grip then, reluctantly, that’s what I’ll do. I’m sure in a few years the one I have will come in handy!
What make would the one in Mick’s photo be? Amal, Doherty?
Thanks again, Steve
clive

Post by clive »

Even with the "correct" twistgrip you are going to need a split barrel. Except for some pattern ones with a screw in barrel, which i have found to be poor quality. If you are ordering anything else from the club get the split barrel and give it a try.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you need the inner to be 3/4" shorter why not just cut it and solder on another barrel nipple? it's only a throttle taking low loads so no real need to 'birdcage' the inner, just splay out the strands.

Your current twist grip is designed to work without a split barrel, fitting one may resolve your issue but will also add potential wear points and risk of loss in the event of the carb slide sticking.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I think we've determined that you have a replacement twistgrip that doesn't match the cable. The original (discarded) twistgrip in your photo is missing its integral threaded adjuster.
Here's my original one with a threaded adjuster, the same as Mick has posted.
CIMG2236.JPG
Adjuster.JPG
Anyway, since I've braved the spiders here are the measurements of two new cables in my shed (source not known). One with an adjuster and one without. The length of the outer cable is irrelevant and will vary between models. The key measurement is the length of the 'exposed' inner cable - more for a twistgrip with an integral threaded adjuster and less for twistgrips without the integral threaded adjuster. Your currently fitted twistgrip doesn't have the threaded adjuster so needs less 'exposed' inner cable.
Throttle cable with adjuster.jpg
This has a top hat ferrule
Top hat ferrule.jpg
The cable without an adjuster doesn't have a top hat ferrule and less exposed inner cable.
Throttle cable no adjuster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler and all,

Thanks for the photos. My photos show the new cable (top) and old cable underneath.
The new cable is a Doherty T563, without mid adjuster/ no top hat ferrule.
Full exposed inner cable measures 3 3/4 ins. Outside cable 36 ins long.
Old cable , inner 3 11/16 with outer cable 39 1/2 ins long. So, +/- inner the same.
See also photo of new replica twist grip. Not sure why there is no cable groove in winding spool?
My impression is now that I need a different twist grip that will accommodate the cable. Can anyone give me a part number, make or reference from either AMOC or AMC Classic spares for such an item? Probably the Doherty make but the price might drain the pension! :D
Or, maybe, cable that will fit my new twist grip?

Any help, much appreciated,

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I got mine from AMC Classic - it's described as: 'Twistgrip, chrome body with metal rotor (not supplied with rubber grips) £ 12.00'

The type you have is the 020024 part number, (of which I have two, neither with a 'winding groove').

Why not adjust the inner length?

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,

Will that be suitable for the cable I have? They don’t give a picture or much description of it. If it comes to it I can ask Steve ( or Linda ) if it would.

Thanks ,

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

As said, I make my own cables to suit so suggest you speak to Steve re compatibility

Regards Mick