Wrong throttle cable?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Wrong throttle cable?

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

Should my 1955 G3LS throttle cable have an adjuster in its length? I’m replacing the throttle twist grip ( Amal type, as per club site ) and have an Amal cable of correct length ( Doherty , 40 1/16 ins inner cable , from club T563) . No way can I get the cable adjustment correct. Specifically, when in full closed position ( carb ) the twist grip has way too much travel left to fully close it ( about 3/4 ins travel left to full closed position of twist grip ). The adjuster at carburettor end is not sufficient. Have I missed something? :headbang:

Regards,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Re: Wrong throttle cable?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

You don't say which carb you have, so assuming you have a Monobloc carb.

Apologies for stating the obvious but........ you've either left a component out or incorrectly assembled the components or the twistgrip, or you have been sent the wrong cable.
I don't have a loose one to measure but someone may be able to give you the lengths or you could check the correct inner and outer lengths of a T563 with club spares in case they've picked and sent you the wrong one.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

This is where I’m confused! It’s a monobloc 376/5 with the correct cable ( measurements are as parts manual 1955, double checked ) as supplied by the club ( as stated previously). The twist grip is an Amal type as per club. They ‘should’ be compatible. I’ve taken the carburettor to pieces, re- checked all is in order and reassembled it. The carburettor functions correctly. But same result. Double checked twist grip and, basically, it can only go back together one way. I’m trying to figure out why it’s not working out but can’t see where the problem lies. I’ll keep trying!

Thanks,

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Do you have the cable throttle stop which fits between the cable and the twist grip?
Dave
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Out of interest I'll go down the shed tomorrow and measure the lengths of the inner and outer of a worn out cable (why do we keep this stuff?) from my '54 G3LS with a Monobloc. Maybe you have a ferrule missing from the twistgrip?
Regardless of the overall length of your cable it would seem that either your outer is too short or the inner is too long. The difference in length between the inner and outer is the key. I won't go down the shed tonight as there'll be too many black hairy spiders.

(Ooops! my reply crossed with Dave's).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave & Spriddler,

There is no throttle stop between cable and twist grip. I have examined the original throttle cable and that is slightly longer and tried with no difference ( I have to be cautious with original stuff as most of it has proven incorrect). The twist grip seems to be complete.
Please See attached photos.
The cable is definitely the correct one as supplied by club and checked in 55 manual parts for dimensions.

Thanks for any further ideas or help.

Regards, Steve

P.S. keep well back from the ones with VERY long HAIRY legs!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It looks like you have the replica quick action twistgrip, I have one fitted to another bike but have had to use a long spacer between the cable and the twist grip, I don't recall if there is an inline adjuster in the cable though, it will be interesting to hear Neville's measurements.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Duncan,

Yes, it is a replica as you have noted. The parts catalogue for 1955 does not indicate a cable with an inline adjuster ( it gives measurements the same as new cable I have supplied by club ). The photo shows the carburettor adjusters fairly well screwed in but fully adjusted out is insufficient.
I’m not sure what I could have omitted from the carburettor as it’s all there and appears to function correctly.

Await Spriddler’s findings.

Bye for now, Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As far as I know, and as stated above, your current twist grip is of an incorrect pattern, it would have originally been this type:
Twist Grip.png
If this is the type you have replaced, why not do a trial fit with the original and see if the fit is better?

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,
I did go down that route but , unfortunately, the new cable cannot not be accommodated in the old twist grip. When I got the motorcycle it had all manner of bodges on it and it would appear parts of the original twist grip were missing. This is why I needed to ‘start again’ with this part of the renovation ( along with many more ). I note the screw connection in your photo where the cable enters the twist grip. This part is missing. I might need to buy yet another new twist grip as the cable , I believe, is correct. Please see attached photo of original twist grip ( which is in pretty poor shape ) and would appreciate any comments you may have.

Regards,

Steve