Minimum Compression ratio

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
56G80S

Re: Minimum Compression ratio

Post by 56G80S »

That's a super picture of the spark, well done and good luck with the next phase.

Johnny B
tippi11

Re: Minimum Compression ratio

Post by tippi11 »

Hello again,

Spent some more time in the garage and set ignition timing as mentioned in my previous post. Then 1-2 kick- start attempts: engine fired and tried to run, then stopped. No problem (I thought) - normal situation without knowing what it wants for idling e.g. air lever, pilot jet and throttle slide screw positions. But after numerous kicks with several different adjustments, the engine is now absolutely dead again as I experienced it before.
What are your recommended pilot jet and throttle slide positions (screw turns), not to fine-tune the carb./engine, but to have a kind of default setting? For the pilot jet I started with 11/2 turns from fully closed, for the throttle slide screw I used different numbers of turns for each start attempt to get the slide higher or lower.
What confuses me most is that I can´t reproduce the initial firing and running for few revs. Since I trust the magneto (spark test mentioned earlier, picture) and ignition timing (if not perfect, but good enough), I am now again fighting the carb. or mixture battle … advices very welcome.
Regards, Peter