Engine bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

Engine bolts

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi all just wondered if there is any spare thread on the 7/16 engine bolt that also holds the chain case. I ask as I had to space the r/h engine plate out about 5mm to get my Norton gearbox to fit and don’t want to buy the bolt and find it’s too short.

Also anyone got a pic or drawing of how this bolt is installed with the nuts and spacers etc.

Thanks
Everyday’s a learning curve.
dave16mct

Re: Engine bolts

Post by dave16mct »

There isn't 5mm of extra thread when fitted. I can't understand why you need to 'space it out' at all when the gearboxes are the same width.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

dave16mct wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:19 pm There isn't 5mm of extra thread when fitted. I can't understand why you need to 'space it out' at all when the gearboxes are the same width.
Dave.
I thought the Norton AMC boxes had different size mounting points but i may be well off point here.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The holes are in a different position but they're the same width.
Dave.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks for the reply guys I’ll need to make one then, I do have a post about this but I’ve had to modify the plates to get the box to fit (will add photos when finished) as didn’t have the money to buy the correct box(maybe I should of just saved up as is causing hassle) but I’ve had to move the box to the right to get the input and output gears to line up.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Is it possible to use a stud , make it to suit.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It's sometimes difficult to visualise but I know nowt about the Norton AMC box. I fitted an AMC box in place of the Burman but the only things I changed were the crank axle spacer behind the engine sprocket (to align it with the clutch sprocket) and the adjustment whatnot that stops the gearbox slipping to and fro' (mostly!).

Maybe the primary chain as the clutch sprocket differs?

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Tazmantic wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:14 am Thanks for the reply guys I’ll need to make one then, I do have a post about this but I’ve had to modify the plates to get the box to fit (will add photos when finished) as didn’t have the money to buy the correct box(maybe I should of just saved up as is causing hassle) but I’ve had to move the box to the right to get the input and output gears to line up.
If we are talking AMC type gearboxes I believe the "Norton" mainshaft is longer than the "AJS/Matchless" one.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Duncan wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:24 pm
Tazmantic wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:14 am Thanks for the reply guys I’ll need to make one then, I do have a post about this but I’ve had to modify the plates to get the box to fit (will add photos when finished) as didn’t have the money to buy the correct box(maybe I should of just saved up as is causing hassle) but I’ve had to move the box to the right to get the input and output gears to line up.
If we are talking AMC type gearboxes I believe the "Norton" mainshaft is longer than the "AJS/Matchless" one.
Yes that's the one, finished modifying the engine plates today so hopefully the rebuild can commence though there are still a few bits that need making. anyone tell me what spacers, nuts etc are on the 7/16 bolt that also holds the primary chain case :|
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The standard sizes are: spacer inside chaincase (which is a wide nut) 7/8" , spacer between engineplate and chaincase 1 13/32", stud
length is 7 7/16" x 7/16 x 26.
Dave.