Clutch adjusting issue

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Clutch adjusting issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Sometime ago I asked why the clutch thrust rod had a bearing (ball) on each end. I may have discovered why. Having changed the friction plates ( plain were serviceable) and reassembled the clutch correctly it is apparent that the lock nut can not be sufficiently wound in ( see photo). The re installation of the second bearing allows much more of the nut to locate ( I never like less than a small part of any bolt protruding ). However, with the additional ball the clutch operates but is not as smooth as without. The thrust rod is the correct length and all parts have been correctly put together. Anything I’ve missed to solve this or is enough of the nut threaded on? If it is I will apply some loctite.
The one ball is at the correct (other end ) of the thrust rod. Any amount of cable adjustment has no effect in solving this.

Thanks to all,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Clutch adjusting issue

Post by Rob Harknett »

You have not mentioned cable adjuster, was that all the way in. With the ball out, have taken a lot of slack up on the cable adjuster?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

What condition is your thrust dowel ( https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=21995 )in, they can wear cupped where the ball bearing contacts or flare out (should be flat), similarly is the pushrod flat on the ends or cupped?
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Re cable adjuster. As stated, no adjustment of the cable made any difference to the situation. I tried various computations of cable adjustment positions with no difference being observed at the point in question. Cable has been tested from one extent to the other. As regards thrust dowel ( I presume this is the thrust rod ) it is in good condition, is not distorted and appears to conform to specifications. The push rod is cupped ( both ends ) to accommodate the ball.

Maybe it’s O.K. where it is?

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Update,
I’ve just seen that the thrust dowel is not the thrust rod. Will investigate. Should the thrust rod be cupped? Mine is, I thought this was how it should be!

Thanks ,

Steve
Last edited by G3L1946 on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ah, I never noticed about cable adjuster. Did the clutch open and close the plates? Thrust rods, The long one, can rust & jam up. When you get it out make sure its clean & straight. A sized thrust rod due to rust is common with bikes left standing.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Rob,

Just amended my last post. Is thrust rod supposed to be cupped? Mine is. Do you think the nut is on sufficiently? All parts have been cleaned and where appropriate, oiled. No rust or other contamination.
As shown in photo set up the clutch is smooth and plates open and close nicely. It’s just the issue of the amount of thread taken up by the lock nut.

Cheers,

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

G3L1946 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:41 pm Hi,
The push rod is cupped ( both ends ) to accommodate the ball.

Maybe it’s O.K. where it is?

Steve
the push rod should be flat, cupping suggests it has worn through the hardened end
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Ah, looks like a new thrust/ push rod then?

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:53 pm Do you think the nut is on sufficiently?
In short, no I would prefer (and have) all of the nut on the adjusting screw.

WRT to the cupping - The reason a ball is fitted is to reduce the contact area/rotational friction to as little as possible, therefore if the ball is 'cuddled' in the cup it will increase the ball's contact area and friction.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'