Poor Running

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
steadyrider

Re: Poor Running

Post by steadyrider »

Thanks Ian,
good point as it will have been removed at some point when the head came off and as you've probably gleaned I'm running out of ideas.

Sean
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Been waiting for an update on this Have your fixed it yet
steadyrider

Post by steadyrider »

Morning all

No further on with this one I'm afraid - the bikes sat in the garage untouched, I'm stumped and frustrated because it's probably something easily fixed to the trained eye. Still starts first kick.

I found the emergency running (ignition switch) mentioned in the manual and something like that would make sense but I've always turned the key far right and as far as I know the wiring hasn't been changed by the mechanics who had it.

I'm a bit reluctant to throw anymore money at it, this latest round has cost me another £ 300.00 and I still have a bike that I can't ride.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Rather than spend any more money at this point , id recommend that you go to your local section meeting and ask for help . are they far away from you ?
You will find someone there willing to help and come out to do the basics and get you running . certainly within our section we have members with experience of all AJS / Matchless bikes from the 20's through to the last hybrid bikes. I know its easy to give up at this point but don't.

The emergency running position just puts all alternator coils into the system . You could try powering the ignition up from the battery directly bypassing the ignition switch completely as long as you have 6V in a fully charged battery that would eliminate the wiring / switch etc.. but I would say if you are unsure about doing this get a local member with experience to help
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Mate I feel your pain . It's so frustrating but as everyone said don't lose heart with it now . You have spent a lot of money and put in to much effort to stop now .
Go back to the simple stuff and be a typical old bike owner tight like the rest of us. Don't spend any more money !
Get the bike out on the driveway annoy the neighbours and run it for at least half an hour at various revs . If it runs perfectly apart from getting hot I would look at the drivetrain . Back brake not half stuck on ? If something is dragging in the drivetrain then it will never pull properly and that would also explain why it struggles to pull and overheats . Be aware that it will get hot an ordinary household fan blowing on the engine can help reduce temp a bit . I will probably get slaughtered now but look at it this way what have you got to lose ? Won't cost anything anyway .
steadyrider

Post by steadyrider »

Morning Chris

Thanks for the suggestion, I don't think its the drive train as it might go ok for 10 yards - 50 yards but then just feels like a car running on 3 cylinders and then gets worse until it cuts out.

As one of the other guy's comments I need to find someone local to take a look at it and say - oh you just need to !!!

Thanks for your suggestion - I'll take a look just to rule everything out.

Sean
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It sounds like you're using the emergency position on the ignition switch. That's exactly what it would do in the emergency position. Maybe it's been wired the wrong way round? Try the other position or try G80CSP11 's suggestion. Easiest to try the other position on the switch first.
Dave.
steadyrider

Post by steadyrider »

Thanks Dave

I'll give it a go back in the first position to see if that makes any difference to my normal - turn all the way right. I haven't taken the headlight off and inspected the wiring since having it back from the mechanics - I can't see any reason they had in touching it since the original problem was loss of compression.

Sean