carb query

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Steve

Re: carb query

Post by Steve »

the cable parts I've got have come from venhill as well I'm just waiting on a solder pot and solder from eBay
that's some chunky leavers nice.
agree with you re - the grip levels and lean angle I'm always expecting them to slide off at every corner
i think watching it live will be mind blown time.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Steve.
I've stripped my 376 and this is what's fitted:

Carb, Tufnol spacer and inlet port 1" bore
Main jet 220
Needle 'C'. Needle clip in the centre groove. (The middle one of the 5 grooves).
Needle jet 106
Pilot jet 25
Throttle slide 376/3

HTH.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi SPRIDDLER
thanks for that so all the same then apart from yours having a slightly bigger main jet.
that's comforting to know, so I can put it all back together when I've got the rest of the cable bits.

most appreciated

Steve
Steve

Post by Steve »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:32 pm Hi Steve.
I've stripped my 376 and this is what's fitted:

Carb, Tufnol spacer and inlet port 1" bore
Main jet 220
Needle 'C'. Needle clip in the centre groove. (The middle one of the 5 grooves).
Needle jet 106
Pilot jet 25
Throttle slide 376/3

HTH.
right update time, as I was confused before your post I had ordered a 180 main jet and a 376/4 throttle slide.
so thought as id ordered them id give them a go well I can report that is not the way to go.
bike wouldn't rev properly would backfire a lot trying to rev it. never even bothered trying to ride it.
put the 210 main jet and the 376/3 throttle slide back in and was back to normal.
so it will be staying that way. at least I can just ride it now and not be thinking I'm running to rich.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:55 pm .......... at least I can just ride it now and not be thinking I'm running too rich.
It'll be fine with the settings you now have.

I'm assuming you have the correct sparkling plug; Champion N5C or NGK B8ES (or perhaps a B7ES).
Far better to run a bit rich than too lean which risks overheating and damage to the piston.
I assume you're checking the plug centre insulator for colour (sootiness etc). Ethanol in fuel tends to affect centre electrode colour. In an ideal world it 'should' be a sort of beigey biscuit colour Even with correct carb adjustment the plug's steel outer rim will always get a bit sooty.
Bear in mind that whilst fiddling about adjusting the carb and on test runs 'around the block' the engine will be operating mostly on the Pilot jet because the other settings, (main jet and slide cutaway), have little influence until about half throttle and more. Therefore the Pilot screw setting is significant.

(Other egg sucking comments are available).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'