Chaincase questions

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Chaincase questions

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi folks,

Just making a dry run to re-fit the front chaincase and a couple of questions arise. Taken from the 1955 manual -

'Ensure the spacing collar, which fits between crankcase ball bearing and the back of the engine sprocket, is in position on the driving side flywheel axle'. This is the description of re-fitting dynamo, page 44.
Not sure what that is alluding to? I think it refers to part 021877 but , although a picture is shown in the parts manual with this number, no part is listed ? ( page 8 - 9 Spares list for 1955 ).

Also , a seal "wellseal" ( I will use blue HYLOMAR as a substitute ) at crankcase boss, but what about any seal at the gearbox/clutch chain sprocket end? I can't seem to see how that can be made oil tight as with the dynamo.

Lastly, the felt type washer for the dynamo. I presumed it located on the dynamo side of the chain case ( to enable lubrication ) but it seems a bit hit and miss when placing it there. Am I correct in its location?

As always,

Thanks in advance, Steve
Rob Harknett

Re: Chaincase questions

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are no seals between the chain case & crank case. You must use the correct 3 bolts that hold it on also the bolt lock washers.
There are no seals where and gearbox shafts pass through the chain case.
clive

Post by clive »

021877 is what is referred to and it is listed in your parts list under transmission page 17. No seal at the gearbox/clutch or the dynamo on my bikes but perhaps it is why they always leave their calling card.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi guy’s,

Thanks for confirming and clarification. Just the question re the felt type dynamo washer. Outside the chaincase against dynamo face? I purchased the correct bolts and locking tabs/washers from club. Previously being held in with screws! Thanks found part listed, just looked in wrong place!

Cheers, Steve
clive

Post by clive »

Felt type dynamo washer? part number? I don't know of one for the 55 single.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Nothing wrong with trying to improvise some sort of felt seal behind the chaincase. I've never bothered.
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi, maybe added in error by last owner? It’s similar to the type located around the swinging arm bushes. Slightly larger in diameter but about the same thickness. If it’s superfluous then I’ll leave it out. It certainly doesn’t seem to want to locate without having to slightly slide the dynamo away from the chaincase to provide sufficient space for it. I don’t think that’s a particularly good idea.

Thanks, Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't forget to use a thread locking compound on the 3 chaincase fixings, the lock washers are a bit marginal for my liking so I tend not to use them or if owners insist I use both!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for both tab washers and loctite on the 3 chaincase / crankcase bolts.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thanks all,

Tabs, bolts, loctite and Blue HYLOMAR should be a sufficient belt and braces job, me thinks!

I’ll even try to fit the felt washer if I can !

Thanks, Steve