Rear hub a bit too snug?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Rear hub a bit too snug?

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Just putting the rear wheel assembly in for a ‘see how it goes’. I’m a bit concerned that the clearance between the Jampot lower nut and wheel disc is a bit too snug? Only a very small clearance is present. One of the rivet heads ( on the cover plate ) is just making contact with the Jampot. See attached photos.

Is this sufficient? Doesn’t seem to be any scope to increase gap.

Regards,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Re: Rear hub a bit too snug?

Post by dave16mct »

There isn't a large gap normally but that looks a bit too close. Has the spacer (with the groove) been skimmed down a bit? How's the chainline with the gearbox sprocket?
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave,

The engine and gearbox are yet to be re installed. I'm not sure if the spacer has been skimmed as I would need to check original specifications ( if possible). Would the inclusion of a suitable washer, if I could get one in,increase the gap? It seems to me that it’s all pretty much a tight fit. The bar from the brake plate to the swinging arm pretty much lines up and can be bolted up.

Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The "relative" movement between the brake plate and the lower half of the jampot when everything is bolted up, and you're riding, is so small as to be negligible. It wouldn't matter a great deal if the brake plate was just touching the jampot clevis. Check it when you have the gearbox in and the chain on and correctly tensioned.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Just checked my G12 and it's very close. There's only about 2 1/2 mm between the chrome plate and the bottom suspension nut. The spacer is 20mm long.
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies . I have checked the possibility of adding an additional spacer but that is not feasible. It cannot be accommodated. I'll double check when all reassembled and again after first ride out. Dave, the inside of the spacer , from brake plate to fork, is 19 mm. May have seen bit of ware? Is it worth replacement if this can be done?

Thanks ,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd prefer to see a small clearance there. If your spacer is undersized I'd replace it, (the swinging arm fork will spread to accept it). Another thing to try is selective assembly of the jampots to the bike, swap them around / rotate them 180 degrees for best clearance.

Regards Mick