Rear wheel hub assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Rear wheel hub assembly

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon guys,

It would appear that, yet again, my project bike ( 1955 G3LS ) had not been correctly reassembled when last disassembled. The rear quick release ‘bar’ was on the sprocket side which I think is incorrect ( it should be on the speedo drive side, am I right ?) . I now face a problem of how all the parts fit in sequence and where. It also appears that a different speedo drive has been fitted than the original. It can only be fitted with the drive uppermost. Please see pictures. Does this have an influence on the fitting of spacers? Is something missing? The drive is Smiths 2 to 1.
As usual, any advice most welcome.

Regards,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Re: Rear wheel hub assembly

Post by Reynard24 »

The speedo drive you have is correct for 1955, the cable should still run along the lower frame rails.
The spindle should go in from the speedo side, the stepped spacer (with equal width diameters) fits between the swing arm and the speedo drive with the smaller diameter towards the drive. The thicker spacer should fit between the brakeplate and the swingarm but I don’t remember a step on that as I’m pretty sure the brake plate spacer is uniform diameter, certainly for the QD hub. If you have the QD hub it’s easier the fit the wheel without the speedo spacer so that you can align the drive pins then pull out the spindle and fit said spacer then refit spindle. If you don’t have the QD hub then that spacer could be right.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Reynard,

Thank you for those very detailed instructions. I’m pleased that it’s the correct speedo drive! I’m not sure, forgive me, when you refer to a QD hub? I’m not sure I know the difference! Does anything go between the quick release end of the spindle and the frame? There is a grove in the very far end which looks like something should locate in it. A washer, maybe?
I’ve discovered so many home brew items on this bike I’m never quite sure what’s original, different year or home made!

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

QD = quickly detachable. Does your brake drum stay with the bike when you take out the rear wheel or does it come out with the rest of the wheel?
The QD hub has 5 drive metal pins which locate in 5 holes in the brake drum and the brake drum/sprocket assembly is secured to the swing arm by a dummy spindle through which the spindle in your photo passes and is then secured by a washer and nut. There should also be a bracket for the rear brake switch which fits over the dummy spindle and is held by the spindle washer and nut.
Nothing, as far as I know, fits between the tommy bar end of the spindle and the swing arm.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
O.K. The brake drum comes out with the rear wheel all in one process.
I don’t think it is a QD drum but I will need to check with the rest of your descriptive to confirm unless the above already does so. Thanks again, I feel confident I can now reassemble.

Steve
Last edited by G3L1946 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning all,

Trying to fit spacers in order as advised. However, the spacer that should be speedo end appears to have a taper fit. Therefore it will not travel any further along the spindle than shown in picture. As the brake drum does not remain with the bike I’m assuming this is NOT a QD hub?
Any further ideas please?

Thanks ,

Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

That spacer should be a sliding fit all the way along the spindle. It looks like you will have to ease the hole out a little. You can use a small half-round file or an adjustable reamer if you have one. Also check that the spindle isn't bent or have any burrs that will stop the spacer from sliding all the way along. My '56 G80CS uses the same system. I'll post a photo later after I've had my morning cup of tea!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Hi Steve
I’ve never heard of a taper fit spacer, the spindle should be a sliding fit through all the components.
Is your brake drum/sprocket bolted to the hub or are the drive pins a very good fit in their corresponding holes? For 1955 the QD hub has 5 metal pins which locate in the sprocket/drum and usually wear both the pins and holes leading to a sloppy fit and a “clunk” when the drive is taken up.
Check the part list illustrations for the ‘55 wheels - it might shed some light on your conundrum. If you don’t have one you can download a copy from Christian’s archives - archives.jampot.dk
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning gents,

Please see attached photo of hub and cover. I think this is a non QD ?
I will examine both the spindle and spacer for any anomalies and clean/ deal with if necessary.
Look forward to the photos Pharisee after you’ve had your tea ‘fix’

Regards,

Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

The spacer with the narrow reduced diameter goes outside the left hand fork. The reduced diameter locates the rear brake light switch mounting plate. There should be a third, parallel spacer between the left hand fork and the brake plate.
20210802_095934.jpg
20210802_100002.jpg
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.