Any top tip? Fork tube into fork crown issue

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Re: Any top tip? Fork tube into fork crown issue

Post by clive »

they were assembled before and you can get the stanchion in 3/4 of an inch? Save yourself hours of trouble and get the correct tool or make one from an old fork top nut and some studing. There are multi part tools advertised with threads for many British bikes but they seem to all be missing the 1 1/4 size. If you don't have an old fork nut advertise in the wanted section of the adverts, there must be many around. You will need to machine down the top so it fits through the yokes. If all that sounds too much trouble try using a ratchet strap. Towards the end you may need to jiggle things to make sure it is fitting into the top Yoke properly.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Problem solved! I resorted to the Dremel to give the yolk sleeve a good cleaning ( the Dremel enabled easy access into the sleeve ). I noticed a few pit marks which I polished out with the Dremel ‘sand wheel’. Now, sweet as a nut! There must have been some sort of high spot or something preventing smooth passage. A piece of crud I just didn’t see? Anyway, sorted!
Hi, Clive, just saw your reply. Thanks for your advice, as always.

Thanks to all,

Steve
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Ah, yes.. just looked at my own.

Two flat screw driver blades laying face to face from opposite sides of the slot then tapped together to make an expanding wedge?

Cancel that... you're sorted! Well Done...Beer time! :beer:
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Andy,

All sorted now, thanks. Bit of extreme cleaning done the job!

Cheers,

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

well done, we await the next installment :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Good to know as I'll be stripping mine this winter.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

Glad you've got the stanchion entering the yoke now, a few words of advice, (and apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs).

To save yourself a lot of frustration and effort, fit the yokes and steering head bearings to the frame before you fit the forks to the yokes. Trying to manhandle the steering stem into the frame, fit 56 ball bearings and the top yoke is a very character building task in itself without the added mass of the forks ;) ;)

You will need to source a fork stanchion drawing tool or use the ratchet strap method but you'll preserve your sanity.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Steve, I made up my own "special tool" which I have used successfully several times. f you get the tube through the stanchion, and I'm assuming that we're both on 1 1/4" forks, if you PM me I could lend it to you. I am at the most northern reach of North Yorks though near Stokesley.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated. I’ve managed to get the fork assembly returned to its allotted place! Well, the manhandling of the forks REALLY tested my patience. It took several goes to get it all together without balls shifting, falling out or misalignment of the parts. Eventually got there ( assistance of reluctant wife employed ).
It’s all pretty much there although there remains a very small gap between top of crown hole and stanchion. I’m hoping this will all ‘settle’ when job completed and final adjustments can be made. Over the last 65 years things have worn, bent or decided they don’t want to align ( that’s true for me and the bike !). Thanks 56G80S, Johnny B, for your kind offer, appreciated, your about 35 miles away, so not so distant!

Best regards, as always,

Steve