Correct gasket please

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: Correct gasket please

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

At the risk of 'teaching you to suck eggs' - you may be surprised at what effect a really good in situ clean can achieve. If you have access to an air line, use it to blast in solvents and blast out debris whilst exercising the spindle.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,
I’m always pleased for any advice given. Should the spindle have lateral movement when not tightened up? By this I mean pushing the spindle through the bearing. My poorer bearing has about 1/4” such travel. The good one, hardly any. I just gave the poorer one another tighten and it did respond better. However, it does feel a little rough when rotated. Could need a bit more cleaning?
Thanks,

Much appreciated,

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

When the adjusters are backed off both assemblies should allow the spindle to move laterally, the caveat here is that in order for the spindle to move the bearing outers need to move outwards accordingly, if the bearing outers are tight in the hub you will need to tap the spindle on either side to move the outers and allow the play to become evident.

Your wheel with play in the spindle sounds like the adjuster just needs further tightening, (also check that the circlip, 017219, is correctly located on the other side of the hub).

If you can get the bearing to adjust correctly I think perseverance with cleaning might do the trick.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Mick,

Thanks again. Will persevere with clean and adjust and, if still no satisfactory result, will try my hand at wheel re- lacing.

Regards,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi again,

Still not able to get the excessive play out. Air blast as suggested with more lubricant and cleaner. How tight should I go with the adjuster to suitable point? Tap and turn with hammer and drift? If all that should be required is hand turn and a bit more then I’m looking towards plan B!

Regards,

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

G3L1946 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:06 pm How tight should I go with the adjuster to suitable point? Tap and turn with hammer and drift? If all that should be required is hand turn and a bit more then I’m looking towards plan B!
Hi Steve

If you have an original pattern adjuster the design is not particularly geared to renovation 60+ years later - well why should it be? ;)

I'd take out all of the obstacles to the adjuster side bearing outer, heat the hub then tap it, (the bearing outer), gently around it's circumference to see if it will 'seat'. Use a suitably sized parallel punch and 16oz ish hammer, start lightly and increase the force, you wil hear a different sound when/if it starts to move.

You'll miss all of this when it's back on the road ;) :D

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,

On way to garage now! Will let you know how I get on! The journey to ‘back on the road’ is taking longer that getting out of Covid restrictions!

Thanks ,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Well, you might just have found the solution! Applied some heat ( bit more than last time ) and , using a suitable sized box spanner, applied a few well place strikes with a copper mallet to fully seat the bearing.
Then greased up the bearing ( a good, but reasonable dose ) and , hey presto, play gone! It needed a couple of taps from the other side of the spindle as it had ‘locked up’. Seems fine now, but will monitor it to make sure it’s a permanent resolution. Not as smooth running as the other but well acceptable and may improve over time.
Thanks Mick,

Appreciated, :beer:

Steve