Correct gasket please

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Correct gasket please

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_02 July 2021_08h56m40s_003_.jpg
Following your workshop manual would have alerted you about the tab washers.
It did so for me when a know nothing teenager when we only had books to work by.
It also tells you which way to bend the tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

There is no gasket on the tin chaincase, later ali ones do have gasket but the tin case should be a good fit on the crankcase boss so no gasket required. If the fit is a bit sloppy then blue hylomar should give a good seal.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Rob,
As you can see, by the photograph, the bolts have been replaced by screw head fixings. Probably best if I replace these too. I’m not over happy with the screw fitting ( can they be sufficiently tightened up?) . Hopefully the club shop will have these in stock. As for following the manual, then hands up on that one, I missed it!
Good advice, much appreciated and thanks to Reynard 24 for input.

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I use the tab washers but also a dab of Loctite.

Never used a gasket It would need to be very thin.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

When I disassembled the relevant parts there was a dodgy looking gasket fitted. I say dodgy as it looked home made and I presumed, incorrectly, that a gasket was necessary. My blue Hylomar will work ‘just in case’.
I’ve got bigger problems now keeping me occupied. Trying to remove the front wheel bearings! They just won’t budge! Not as easy as the manual says it should be.

Regards,

Steve
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Try a bit of heat on the alloy drum.
Dave
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

G3L1946 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:59 pm Trying to remove the front wheel bearings!
Hi

In my opinion it's far better to clean out the bearings in situ - don't remove them unless you really have to.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Dave & Mick,

I’m trying to make one good front wheel. I have a very poor rim with a good bearing and a very good rim, nearly new tyre but with a sloppy bearing. So, my aim is to swap the bearings over so I end up with the good rim, best tyre and good bearing. Better route, I thought, than getting involved in re spoking of the wheel.
I’ve tried heat, soaking with Plus gas etc. I removed the grease nipple and gave the bearing a spurt of Plus gas via that point too. They both remain solid. An overnight rest with the plus gas might loosen it up? I’m trying to avoid the use of the copper mallet although I have given it a few, encouraging, semi light ‘taps’.
Any ‘top tips’ would be most welcome.

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

I think I'd investigate cleaning your poor bearing in situ and then adjusting out the play, if this doesn't fix things I'd swap the rim. Lacing a wheel is really quite easy if you're methodical, especially if you're only swapping components between two 'known' wheels.

If you're really determined to remove the bearings I'd suggest lots of heat onto the hub followed by penetrating fluid, (I use a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone), repeat two or three times then heat up again and try firm blows with a dead blow hammer with the hub well supported.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,

I’ll give another day or two then maybe look towards re lacing. The ‘poor’ bearing is just a bit more sloppy than the ‘good one’. I can tighten the good bearing up by hand to produce very little play. I can not achieve this with the other. I’m not sure the poorer bearing will adjust up, sufficiently, to take out the excessive play.
Thanks for your advice,

Steve