1955 G3ls front wheel and forks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1955 G3ls front wheel and forks

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:37 pm ok so went to fit the wheel today and its not sitting in the centre of the forks,
Just to be clear, do you mean the hub isn't central or the wheel (tyre) isn't central between the forks?
should there be a spacer somewhere or should the brake plate nut be wider :headbang:
All the parts that should be fitted are listed in the Spares List.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
Axle 55 front.JPG
From memory my '54 is like your pic. I'll venture down to it later and look but it's not easy to get to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

both, I measured the hub, rim and tyre all 3 are out the same amount and that's exactly the parts I have fitted :(
Everyday’s a learning curve.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm. I can't explain that.
To which side is the complete hub, rim and tyre offset? To the brake side or to the r/h side and by how much? A photo from the front showing the offset might help.
Is there a gap/what is the gap between the wheel hub and the fork leg on the r/h end of the axle?
In another pic you've dismantled the front hub and bearings......have you reassembled them correctly with all necessary parts as it seems to me that the whole front hub ass'y is offset to to one side of the axle but I can't get my brain around how that could happen but I might be missing something obvious.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi Spiddler, its off set to the brake side by about 5mm ish and this is the replacement wheel that I bought not the one I show stripped down (that fits centre now I have the brake plate nut) though I did strip this one down also but I'm sure every thing was there and in the correct place etc

I did read a post about a similar problem but that didn't seem to get resolved
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:28 pm Hi Spiddler, its off set to the brake side by about 5mm ish and this is the replacement wheel that I bought
I'm thinking that provided that it's the right wheel maybe it was spoked up for some reason with a rim to hub offset of 5mm. Is the centre of the hub central to the rim?
The brake side needs to be as you have it in order that the brake torque arm lines up sweetly to the backplate without any sideways bending.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Well I think it’s the right wheel, I’ll need to take a few measurements again tomorrow and see if hub is centre to the rim. Just odd how if I space it over every thing looks to be ok except the brake torque arm but that is a replacement and nothing to say that’s not slightly bent
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's not easy to be precise but from the photos your brake plate outer nut appears to have a thinner flange than the one on my 61 G3:
F Brake Plate Nut.png
Also the brake plate looks to be mounted too far into the hub, in my opinion it should be flush at it's rim.

So setting the brake plate flush and a thicker nut will both move the wheel in the desired direction, the rest is probably down to how the wheel has been built.

Regards Mick

PS. The nut you have on the end of the spindle is not of the correct pattern either, it should be a 1/2" reduced hex single chamfer nut.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi Mick, thanks for the info and pics and I did think the hub should be flush but this can only happen if I put a washer inside the brake plate unless of corse the hub is build wrong or the inner nut is too thin but without dimensions of these it’s hard to know I will strip it down again today and yes your nut flange deff looks bigger this would deff help and also move it away from the fork.
Also do you have a pic of the spindle nut?

Cheers
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The inner brake plate nut locks against the brake plate / outer nut, it's position fixes the position of the brake plate, it's not meant to be screwed to the end of the thread on the spindle.

See here for a photo of the nut - https://acmestainless.co.uk/product-cat ... cba1185463

Regards Mick
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

So I just screw the inner nut on till the brake plate is flush with the hub then lock with outer nut?, I don't screw inner nut on as far as it will go?

The inner nut was screwed fully home with the other wheel.

Thanks for the link :beer: