Front wheel centralisation

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: Front wheel centralisation

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd check the wheel alignment and optimise that first - an out of centre position between the forks does not necessarily result in an equivalent offset between the front and back wheels.

Do you know that you have the correct offset on the rear wheel and that is correctly located/aligned?

Regards Mic
sno335

Post by sno335 »

Um, as far as I know the rear wheel is correctly fitted and aligned with the snail cams.I'm guessing it's central in the swingarm,it looks it?
You're right if both front and rear were BOTH offset it should steer straight?
sno335

Post by sno335 »

Well by coincidence I've just been to the National Motorcycle Museum in Brum.If you've never been it's great 800 bikes just over £8 if you're of a certain age!
Anyway to get to the point, they have a LOT of Ajays and Matchless bikes including a 1952 model.
On examination the front wheel is visually closer to the left-hand fork leg,and the torque arm has an S bend.The other years would appear to have central wheels, and all the torque arms have some degree of bend.Strange, the 1952 hub must be the odd one out as wheel spindle assemblies are the same for a lot of years,ditto the forks.
So if it's OK with AMC it will be fine with me.