Front wheel bearing dismantle problem

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Front wheel bearing dismantle problem

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

I've followed the instructions in the 1955 manual ( pages 63 - 65 ) but hit a problem. All O.K. until ' apply pressure to the threaded end of the wheel spindle which will eject.....etc'. Pressure applied, not shifting. Gently tap with wooden mallet, still not budging. Removed circlip ( not actually necessary but tried it anyway ) still no joy, (circlip re installed ).

Any suggestions/ top tips? I'm pretty sure (ish) that one of the bearings is defective so may need replacement or attention. The oil seals look a bit suspect too!

Thanks,

Steve
clive

Re: Front wheel bearing dismantle problem

Post by clive »

Steve if you have removed the locking ring, cover disc AND the adjusting ring there should be nothing to stop the spindle coming out except the outer bearing ring sticking. You could try a bit of heat or penetrating fluid or a less gentle tap. The bearings are an integral part of the spindle and if either bearing needs replacing the whole lot has to be replaced.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive,

Thanks. As long as I’ve not overlooked something which seems I haven’t. I’ll give it another go. Hopefully the bearings are O.K. If not, I do have a complete unit from another wheel I can swap with.

Thanks,

Steve
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi once more,

Strange, after giving it some ‘advanced encouragement’ with a copper mallet, the bearing has all loosened up and turning freely! Previously, and the reason for its intended removal, was that it was rough and not smooth and stuck, at times, when revolving the spindle. Do I now leave alone in the hope that the problem is solved or carry on with attempting to remove it? It’s still refusing to budge which may be indicative of an issue. My inclination is to still go ahead , remove and check.

Steve
Taid

Post by Taid »

G3L1946 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pm Hi once more,

Strange, after giving it some ‘advanced encouragement’ with a copper mallet, the bearing has all loosened up and turning freely! Previously, and the reason for its intended removal, was that it was rough and not smooth and stuck, at times, when revolving the spindle. Do I now leave alone in the hope that the problem is solved or carry on with attempting to remove it? It’s still refusing to budge which may be indicative of an issue. My inclination is to still go ahead , remove and check.

Steve
My symptoms exactly .. very difficult and lumpy to turn the spindle by hand ..

Tried to dismantle spindle and bearings from the wheel but wouldn't shift .

Then suddenly it started to turn OK .. can't remember just what I did immediately before it became OK, was just grateful .

hoping it stays that way
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Taid,

Better description than mine , exactly as you say. Weird, maybe the clouts moved the bearings into a particular position, moved a bit of clogging substance? Not sure, but I’ll keep an eye on it and retest it prior to fitting. Don’t want problems with wheels on the road!

Thanks,

Steve,

Post by 1608 »

Having given the unit a good thumping you may have damaged the bearing anyway. Having got so far I would be tempted to remove the axle and bearing and examine for roughness. As you say, it appears nice and free now, but its not back fully into the hub ( housing). If you tighten the retaining ring back up again so the bearing goes fully in again you may well be back to square one.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

That’s my problem, it still won’t shift! I’ve tried plus gas, heat the lot. It’s the right thing to do, I know. Just checking, the pressure ( thumping to remove spindle) is from the threaded side? That’s what the book says but………? I’ll also tighten it up to what it should be and see if it’s still free.

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

G3L1946 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:43 pm Hi,

That’s my problem, it still won’t shift! I’ve tried plus gas, heat the lot. It’s the right thing to do, I know. Just checking, the pressure ( thumping to remove spindle) is from the threaded side? That’s what the book says but………? I’ll also tighten it up to what it should be and see if it’s still free.

Steve
Threaded side of what? The spindle or the hub? Its the threaded side of the spindle.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Often the grease hardens and gives a rough feel, use heat penetrating fluid and pump in lots of new grease to force out the old, resist the temptation to get too physical as it will damage the bearing surfaces as mentioned above.