Housing ring , top cover removal

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Housing ring , top cover removal

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon all,

Is there a tried and tested method to remove this part? I’m beginning to think the last owner welded them on! Item 19/52 ( front forks, housing ring, top cover ) in the 1955 manual show them as separate parts which seems logical. I’ve nearly suffered a double hernia trying to part them. They need a good polishing and the top covers to be re sprayed,
Any suggestions, re dismantling, not the hernia, would be most welcome.

Regards,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Re: Housing ring , top cover removal

Post by 56G80S »

On my '56 they are separate and aluminium so welding them on would be an achievement!

I going to regret this but I've never had a problem getting them apart. If you are painting anyway what about a hot air gun?

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Johnny,

I’ve tried that although I was a bit ‘timid’ so maybe a bit more heat? They’re really held fast so I started to think that they were one unit which, obvious, isn’t the case. The previous owner performed all sorts of ‘remedial’ work generally not conforming to the norms!
I’ll try a bit harder and hopefully not do myself a mischief!

TTFN 👋 Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd shock them off by putting a drift down the inside of the cover and tapping with a hammer - check for evidence of epoxy or silicone adhesive on the inside of the covers ;)

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi ,

Thanks Mick. Application of a bit of heat, plus gas and a blunt screwdriver under the lip did the trick. It looks like some sort of epoxy had been applied? Bit of rust too. Any ways, all done and on the buffer!
Thanks all,

Steve