Seat

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

Seat

Post by Tazmantic »

Ok so is it the tank or the seat that’s wrong? Or are they supposed to be like this….. 1955 G3ls :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
56G80S

Re: Seat

Post by 56G80S »

IKBA but that doesn't look like a standard seat from what I can see but there's usually a gap.

Spriddler says he used to shove a rag down there on long trips to limit noise!

Johnny B
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

It was off eBay 🤦??? And listed as Matchless, Ajs dual seat, pre 1956. but that doesn’t mean it is, the mountings seem to line up ok I’ve added a few more pics see if you can work out what the labels say 🤷???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm IKBA but that doesn't look like a standard seat from what I can see but there's usually a gap.

Spriddler says he used to shove a rag down there on long trips to limit noise!

Johnny B
1955 was a bit of a one-off year for changes. Have a look at the illustration on page 47 of the Spares List here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

This is the (almost certainly original) and much travelled well worn seat and tank on my '54 G3LS. As John said, I stuffed a rag in there to muffle the engine and carb intake noise which became very wearing on long continental rides (like a day's run of 416 miles on one leg of the return from the Italian Jampot :( ).
The bike's been mouldering away for a long while awaiting some (a lot of) TLC. It's behind another one so not easy to take pics but the nose seems more pointy than yours..........
CIMG2185.JPG
CIMG2187.JPG
CIMG2189.JPG
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Oooo so maybe ok then 🤣👍
clive

Post by clive »

My guess is that it is an original seat pan that had deteriorated at the nose area due to rust and has been rebuilt before being recovered. (I have one that is going than way). The bar across the bottom is an addition and the cover is usually not diamond pattern. But from what I remember yours is a special ;) and if it fits I would use it as it looks pretty good.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

It's exactly the same gap between the seat and tank that I have on my original and unrestored '55 M20. The gap is for letting hot air up to warm the family jewels :D. When the working man came home in the evening after a long cold trip from the factory he didn't want the wifey to comment sarcastically on his manhood, and AMC made provision for this in the design.

At least that's what I tell people if they ask what the hole is for :D .Just joking of course; the reason was that AMC had a stockpile of tanks for the single seat models and had to clear them out even after all models had a saddle as standard. 1955 was the last year they fitted these tanks I seem to recall.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Clive probably has this spot on. I was thrown by the diamond pattern, which was not an original feature.

At least it's not a '56 which seems to be even more "interim" than others.

Johnny B
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks guys and it’s defiantly a special 🤣 just waiting for the dating certificate so I can get it registered.

I think I’m going to stick with your story GSAX1 sound good to me 🤣🤣🤣