Rear shocks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
clive

Re: Rear shocks

Post by clive »

clive wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:02 pm A girling frame will have the upper mount boxed section with the top of the girling sitting inside it. The jampot frame had a top mounting which was a slightly curved "blade" and the Jampot mounts sat either side of it. It is possible you have a Jampot frame with the Girlings simply bolted on from outside it. The Girlings for our bikes had a special lower mount which went either side of the blade type lower mount similar to the Jampot lower mount, but it has to be matched to the box section top mount.
and here is an example of girlings fitted to a Jampot frame from an ebay ad.
s-l1600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks for all the info guys mine has the curved mounts so should be jampots but someone has just fitted shocks that seem the right hole centres 🤦??? But as the bottom mounts on the bike are slightly in from the top mounts they are slightly tapered and also think they may be slightly over sprung because even on there lowest spring setting I can’t get much movement when sat on and I’m no lightweight 🤣

Ps is that eBay listing still current 😬
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Neil, you may want to remeasure with a straight edge I am pretty sure that the top and bottom Jampot mounts should line up.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

I did use straight edge and they seem out if only by a few mm
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Post by clive »

Another can of worms I wonder if you have the correct swinging arm for the rear frame loop. Certainly the jampots could not be mounted out of line top and bottom. The swinging arm can twist in an accident because I have had to replace a set after my combo was crashed. Possibly the rear wheel is wrong or there are missing or wrong sized spacers and the ends of the swinging arm are being pulled together. Release the spindle and recheck the measurements.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix