Amal 76AV/1ED Rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chrisg1988

Amal 76AV/1ED Rebuild

Post by chrisg1988 »

Hello All,

I just acquired my very first Matchless, a 1954 Model, Late 53 G3LS. The bike is very original but it has been in storage for a very long time(over 10 years). Following a general service I tried starting it and after fiddling a bit with it I managed to fire it up but it either dies straight away or I need to keep a bit of throttle open with full choke in order to keep it running(working the throttle makes a popping noise as well and trying to remove the choke it dies no matter the throttle given). It seems that it will only start after I tickle the carburetor each time. The carburetor is the original part no (76AV/1ED) but by the looks of the wear on the flange nuts it looks that it has been tampered with more than a few times(considering the condition of the rest of the bike).

So I got an opinion from an experienced friend of mine and he is of the idea of changing the carburetor to a new one(the 276) to avoid further problems. Now I am a bit reluctant to do so, firstly because of the cost and also for the sake of keeping it original although if it is the best solution I'll go with this decision. Having said that, if I decide to give a proper cleanup and rebuild the carburetor instead of buying a new one straight away, from experience is there an extensive repair kit I can buy or what additional items should I get apart from the standard repair kit?

Thanks a lot,

Christian
SPRIDDLER

Re: Amal 76AV/1ED Rebuild

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Christian.
Lovely bike, the '54 G3LS (I would say that as I have one ;) )
1954 was the last year that that model of carb was fitted before going over to the Amal Monobloc type. See page 4 in the manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

It sounds like blocked carb jets and there may also be an air leak at the carb to cyl head interface, particularly if the carb flange has ben overtightened and distorted.
Since the bike has been unused a good clean of the carb will be necessary.
In short and to start with before changing the carb, have a look at this guide......

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... s-and-Tips

Overhaul kits are also available from here:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/

You will also find manuals for the bike under 'Books' here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon May 31, 2021 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Have an explore of the Amal website and download the catalogue here:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/books-catalogues.html

Plenty of useful info about the 276, which I believe is almost identical to what you will have fitted.

After 10 years in store it will need a strip and clean before you can assess it for other issues, (wear in the bore), so do this first and see how you get on.

Regards Mick

Sprid beat me to it ;) - Oh! and seriously consider joining the Club, it will be money well spent :D
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

you should be able to get it running by cleaning the carb and refitting , make sure that gaskets are good and no air leaks
Even an old carb will start and run , maybe with poor idle or flat spots if very worn but will always work
As Mick says , join the club and enjoy the benefits of unlimited forum access and advice from other experienced members

Ive done thousands of miles with Sprid to rallies over UK and Europe , maybe not up for long high speed running but steady at 45 - 50, and very reliable i can only thing of one instance of Sprids bike having problems and that was when he dropped it on a open train carriage , nothing a few tie wraps could not fix.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

g80csp11 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:06 am Ive done thousands of miles with Sprid to rallies over UK and Europe , maybe not up for long high speed running but steady at 45 - 50, and very reliable i can only thing of one instance of Sprids bike having problems and that was when he dropped it on a open train carriage , nothing a few tie wraps could not fix.
Indeed so. It was when we were riding back from the International Jampot near Milan.
I had just ridden onto the train's flatbed truck which was to take us through the Simplon Tunnel and I was stationary with the engine ticking over waiting to make sure you were boarding O.K. when an identical flat carriage alongside pulled away, giving me the sensation that I was riding along so I transferred my supporting foot from the ground to the footrest, when of course the stationary bike and I toppled over breaking a lever and stuff.

Lots of pics because we can post more now ;)

We had to ride along the station platform then along a plank ramp to get onto the train.
Italy Jampot May 2009 (3).jpg
It was about 40yds to ride to the parking/travelling cabin.
Italy Jampot May 2009 (4).jpg
My '54 G3LS bottom left and your P11 in front of it.
Italy Jampot 2009 (2).jpg
Ahem ;) This was the trip when your wiring loom burned out at Vittel on the way to Milan and you rewired it in the open air in a couple of hours with all blue wire as that was all I could get when I rode back to the nearest garage.
Italy Jampot 2009 (5).jpg
P11 melted wiring jpeg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuart Jenkins

Post by Stuart Jenkins »

Hi Christian,
I had the same problem with mine, it would start ok but even when warm it would only idle with full choke, anything less and it would die! I striped and cleaned, poked, sprayed with carb cleaner twice and with a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner but still the same result! i ended up pressing the brass jet housing out of the carb body which enabled me to poke through orifices in the pilot jet system with fine wire more easily, more blow through with carb cleaner and a go in the ultrasonic, and now all good, it was very gummed up!
This site has good tips on pre monoblock set up https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... e-Monobloc

Good luck
Stuart
g3l 1941
BMW r80G/S '82
Yamaha FZ750 '90(Project)
chrisg1988

Post by chrisg1988 »

Hello All,

Cleaned it out, used the repair kit, replaced the gaskets and it is managing to keep the idle even without choke, next up I'll give it a good run then adjust the mixture and see from there, Thanks for the manuals.

I can't figure out how to upload a photo of my bike which I am very eager to share with you all!