AMC clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

AMC clutch

Post by Tazmantic »

Next issue the clutch has lots of bits missing, I believe its an ANC clutch as the gearbox as stated before is a Norton box (NA number) I've found an exploded view which I think is the same though it says lightweight can anyone confirm this is the correct diagram I'm looking at and the parts I would need.

Cheers

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... manual.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Re: AMC clutch

Post by clive »

If you are buying the Burman GB box you wrote about i would not try to fit the AMC clutch. It may be possible but you are short of a number of parts and it should be easier and cheaper to get the correct Burman clutch and certainly easier to fit.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

I think I might not buy that box now as I've managed to get the Norton box to fit fingers crossed (saving me a few hundred pounds) as I would need the box, new engine plates as they had been chopped about and a complete clutch so was going to use this clutch as its fitted to it
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Tazmantic wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:49 am can anyone confirm this is the correct diagram I'm looking at
Hi

That's an exploded drawing of a Lightweight engine and gearbox - not relevant to your case.

Here's a parts list for 55 singles which were fitted with the B52, (GB), gearbox and clutch:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

And a 60 one with the AMC box and clutch:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... G12CSR.pdf

Regards Mick
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks Mick that’s brilliant I would of been looking for days now to see how much all the bits will cost 😬
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

So do the small Cush rubbers go in a certain way round as they look shaped 🤦??? Also they are quite hard to squish 😬
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Fit the large rubbers first. Ideally, you should hold a spare/scrap gearbox mainshaft in a vice to hold the middle vanes and apply torque to the hub with a suitable clutch tool. I didn't have a spare mainshaft so I cut a piece of steel "gauge plate" to fit into the splines. It was just about strong enough to allow the large rubbers to be compressed enough to insert the small rubbers. Simmering them in boiling water for a few minutes will soften them just a little. Ignore the red rubber grease... insert them dry!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thank you, so does the slightly fatter end go to the centre?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Tazmantic wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:37 pm Thank you, so does the slightly fatter end go to the centre?
To be honest, I don't remember. It will probably be obvious once you've got the large rubbers inserted and compressed. :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.