My newly bought AJS 16M won't start.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
willowbedone

Re: My newly bought AJS 16M won't start.

Post by willowbedone »

neilp wrote:Hi All - what a great response from the forum - many thanks to all.

Yes i have joined the owners club - problem is my local club meets an hours drive away - which is not best, but i plan n going so i can meet the members.

I have bought a workshop manual which arrives next week so i can get into that and check the timings.

I'll practice my startup technique - but at the moment nothing seems to be working - blast!

Clive - I'll change the plug as its a ngk. see that helps. cheers.

Again thanks for all the advice

Best / Neil
Hi Neil where in East Sussex do you live I am in Hastings and willing to help if you are near by
Ian
neilp

Post by neilp »

Hi Ian - i am in burwash - just up the A21 and turn left at hurst green. my tel number is 0747 103 5555

i have joined the owners club last week and I would love to meet fellow members - keen to get involved and learn more. i have owned modern bikes but this is the first time owning a classic so a steep learning curve. i am comfortable with working on the engine and i absolutely love the bike but frustrated as she won't start. she did. but then stopped. Fuel is coming through - checked that. the Spark is there - albeit a ngk plug so it may be too weak - i am changing the plug this week to a champion to see if that makes a difference ( which i am hoping is the problem ). its more than likely my technique in kick starting her, but i have tried to bump start her twice and she doesn't even fire then so i think something is wrong else where.

still enjoying the journey and learning something new each day.

Neil
neilp

Post by neilp »

Boom - changed the spark plug to a champion as advised by Clive and she started on the second kick.

many thanks Clive for the advice. Cracking.

The sun is out, of for a ride . . . . .
clive

Post by clive »

neilp wrote:Boom - changed the spark plug to a champion as advised by Clive and she started on the second kick.

many thanks Clive for the advice. Cracking.

The sun is out, of for a ride . . . . .
Great, I have no shares in Champion by the way :beer:
I forgot to say that if the magneto (I think your 57 bike is still magneto) is producing a weak spark at starting speeds it helps to shut down the spark gap. New plugs come with at least a 25 thou gap, i often shut this down to 18-20 thou
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

neilp wrote:Hi Ian - i am in burwash - just up the A21 and turn left at hurst green. my tel number is 0747 103 5555

i have joined the owners club last week and I would love to meet fellow members - keen to get involved and learn more. i have owned modern bikes but this is the first time owning a classic so a steep learning curve. i am comfortable with working on the engine and i absolutely love the bike but frustrated as she won't start. she did. but then stopped. Fuel is coming through - checked that. the Spark is there - albeit a ngk plug so it may be too weak - i am changing the plug this week to a champion to see if that makes a difference ( which i am hoping is the problem ). its more than likely my technique in kick starting her, but i have tried to bump start her twice and she doesn't even fire then so i think something is wrong else where.

still enjoying the journey and learning something new each day.

Neil
Hi Neil I know burwash very well I grew up in robertsbridge I have a friend who lives in etchingham just down the road from you I will give you a call .Maybe we could meet up and talk bikes sometime
Ian