Amal Carb. Spacer

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Paul350

Amal Carb. Spacer

Post by Paul350 »

My 1961 350 model 16 is fitted with a 1 1/16 " carb. However the spacer is 1" bore. The correct spacer is out of stock . Does anyone know of an alternative source? Or have correct one they can sell. I am not sure if the lip created by a smaller spacer has any effect but would rather have the correct part,
part no. 021346.

Thanks

Paul
jackstringer

Re: Amal Carb. Spacer

Post by jackstringer »

I can check my '61 if you like as I am not sure what the bore size is as standard. It might be easy enough to just bore it out yourself,
Yves.Astein

Post by Yves.Astein »

You should use the right bore for the spacer. There will be changes in the air flow and Fuel drops will gather around the lip, which will probably cause all kinds problems with the mixture.

You can buy a 1 inch and have it bored out by someone who has a mill. I can do it for you if you send it to Germany 😊

Just checked: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/car ... nd_use.pdf

1 1/16 is the right carb.

Yves
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

I agree I need fit correct spacer. Area of smaller bore is more than 10% less. It runs with wrong spacer but it's not right. Probably runs rich and falters under acceleration. Note jets etc are correct.
Proper spacer is not available at the moment, so I am looking for someone to bore out 1" spacer. Thanks for your offer of help.
Regards Paul.
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

I have now found the correct spacer at Surrey Cycles , who supply all sizes in Tufnol. This should solve the problem.