LED conversion

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
iolex

LED conversion

Post by iolex »

AJS M16 350 1946

If you want to change over to LEDs then these are the bulbs you need. I have also added a brake light. It seems that any vehicle after 1936 needs a brake light. Even if it was not originally fitted, it should be retro-fitted. Legal requirement apparently.

All parts from: www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com

1) Headlamp bulb - Lucas 168 (BPF)PART NUMBER 1 THEN CHOOSE FA2A HERE http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

2) Headlamp pilot - Lucas 200 (BA15S) PART NUMBER 16 THEN CHOOSE AD2B HERE http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

3) Rear / brake ( converting from rear only) Lucas 384 ** (BA15D) PART NUMBER 9 HERE http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php CHOOSE POS OR NEG EARTH TO SUIT
Do you have a Lucas type socket to suit a 2 pin bulb ? PART NUMBER 2 HERE
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php CHOOSE BA15D (CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO ENLARGE TO MAKE SURE IT IS SUITABLE FOR YOUR APPLICATION)

4) Speedometer illumination bulb - Lucas LLB 282 PART NUMBER 15 HERE CHOOSE CE2B
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

WHERE POS OR NEG EARTH IS NOT STATED, BULBS ARE BI POLARITY

The rear light housing needs to be modified to take the 2 pin bulb holder but it a very easy job.

Hope this is useful if you are thinking of converting. 😎
bunners

Re: LED conversion

Post by bunners »

Below was taken from the MOT inspection manual
4.3.1. Presence, condition and operation
All stop lamps must be inspected. If you do not think the stop lamp is connected, you do not need to test it.

Stop lamps are not needed for motorcycles that:

do not have front and rear position lamps
have had front and rear position lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Quite true for daylight MOTs or whatever they are called, but all the same, most road-used bikes do need to have one if there are other lights, as far as I understand it.

I thought it was a useful list personally, with a degree of specificity that is helpful! That said, I don't know which LEDs are 'best', nor from whom apart from the folk mentioned they can be got. Goffy probably has some of, guessing.
All I do know is that my by-now obsolete ones are quite useless for riding in the dark but are very good as daylight safety aids.

Blessed with not needing MOTs for motorcycles of any age because France continues to refuse to bow to external pressure on this (with a LOT of leverage applied by the MAG equivalent, the very vocal FMCC) it's not an issue personally. But it is a source of surprise to me how many British dynamo-lit classics don't have working 'lectrics here. Some folk have paid up for Altons, those with flywheel-generated lights normally have 'em working, and almost all alternator machines do too - but there's an aversion, I get the feeling, to investing in Lucas DC charging kit.

Which makes LEDS attractive maybe, if people think a battery is a worthwhile investment as a minimum!
bunners

Post by bunners »

But strangely you do have to have a reflector, but as far as I am aware they work in a light beam and as you cant ride in the dark what is the point in that? I have also read somewhere that it is illegal to fit LED's on a vehicle that did not have them in the first place.

I copied the below from a classic publication
An update to the MOT inspection manual now means classic car & bike owners who have had LED bulbs fitted to their vehicles will fail their test. The new clarification will apply to modern classic vehicles and those who still opt to get their vehicle checked despite already being exempt as a historic vehicle.
bunners

Post by bunners »

Straight from the horses mouth so to speak

Driver & Vehicle
Standards
Agency
Guidance
MOT special notice 01-21: headlamp conversions
Published 19 March 2021

1. About headlamp conversions
Section 4.1.4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles states ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’
Last edited by bunners on Thu May 05, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

bunners wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:05 pm But strangely you do have to have a reflector, but as far as I am aware they work in a light beam and as you cant ride in the dark what is the point in that? I have also read somewhere that it is illegal to fit LED's on a vehicle that did not have them in the first place.

I copied the below from a classic publication
An update to the MOT inspection manual now means classic car & bike owners who have had LED bulbs fitted to their vehicles will fail their test. The new clarification will apply to modern classic vehicles and those who still opt to get their vehicle checked despite already being exempt as a historic vehicle.
This is why Magazines and Forums are full of it. Find the source, and read it for yourself.

The advice only applied to Headlights, this was due to the reflector pattern as some conventions could dazzle other road users. See the updated info from March 2021.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions
2. Changes to current rules
From 22 March 2021, we’re changing these rules so that not all motorcycles and vehicles will fail the MOT test if their halogen headlamp units have been converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs.

Class 1 and 2 motorcycles
Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed.

Class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles
For class 3,4,5 and 7 vehicles, the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’ only applies to vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986.

Should a vehicle be presented for an MOT test with conversions before 1 April 1986 they must not be failed with immediate effect.

Vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 will continue to be failed.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The cars and passenger vehicles inspection manual will be updated shortly.
Have a look at the manual the MOT people have to go by, it tends to shock them when you know the rules as much as them.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -equipment

On reflectors this is a quote I found.
Rear reflectors are not needed on motorcycles that:
  • do not have front and rear position lamps fitted
  • have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked
This did get a LOL from me.
Reflective tape is not an acceptable substitute for a rear reflector.
Last edited by jackstringer on Thu May 05, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

bunners wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm Straight from the horses mouth so to speak

Driver & Vehicle
Standards
Agency
Guidance
MOT special notice 01-21: headlamp conversions
Published 19 March 2021

1. About headlamp conversions
Section 4.1.4 of the current MOT inspection manuals for both motorcycles and cars and passenger vehicles states ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’
You should have read a little more then you would have seen it says that whole statement is being taken out.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

jackstringer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:57 pm
bunners wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’[/color]
.. How many of our bikes had Halogen lamps fitted originally? I suspect not many, i.e zero. Therefore this paragraph has never applied.

Jeremy
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Jdraper wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:28 pm
jackstringer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:57 pm
bunners wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:33 pm ‘Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.’[/color]
.. How many of our bikes had Halogen lamps fitted originally? I suspect not many, i.e zero. Therefore this paragraph has never applied.

Jeremy
Yup, they don't mention Parafin lamps either, I suspect because 99% of vehicles on the road are either Halogen/LED/HID so the edge cases are not always accounted for. This is why they made it so we don't need MOTs for the old bikes we have, this just means the lesser educated MOT mechanic has less to learn and get wrong.
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Not sure if this warrants a separate thread, but I have dispensed with the Dynamo altogether now I have full LEDs and Magneto. The modern 4.5Ah AGM battery in the faux Lucas battery box is sufficient for most of my riding needs (5-600 miles pa), and the little I have done at night has still not flattened the battery after 12 months. I also have an emergency battery pack in one of the side tool boxes, made up of three 18650 lithium batteries (ex laptop) in a holder with a snap in connector to the harness if needed and these give a further 2Ah - enough for an hour or so with full lights. These seem to keep a decent charge for a year or so, and are the same batteries in my torch so serve a dual purpose. The torch also acts as a power bank to charge the mobile phone in case of a prolonged roadside wait!

I did have a full dynamo rebuild and 12v Dave Lindsley voltage regulator, but never got round to fitting them... The dynamo hole is sealed up with gaffer tape, so reduces another source of oil leaks.

Jeremy