Auto advance return issue

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Re: Auto advance return issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Good morning,

Cleaned the A/R device to within an inch of its life and refitted same. Opened weights which, as before, remained open. Turned engine over, by hand quite slowly with kick start and, indeed, the weights returned to the closed position. So, thanks to the article supplied kindly by Jack stringer, I’m happy that all is now functioning as should.

Regards to all,

Steve
Groily

Post by Groily »

Great news Steve, and congrats!
These things can so often seem to be playing up when they're not really.

Andrew Guttman at Priory Mags has taken quite a lot of trouble there, to put minds at ease (and often save people quite a lot of money if they go off on an ATD hunt when they don't really need to!)

(Worth adding he's also a useful source of parts for some types of ATDs, and repairs quite a few. Although ones with sprockets on (our singles, Nortons etc) don't look quite like BSA/Trihard ones with fibre or alloy gears on, the actual operating bits are very similar. A good first port of call I have always found.)
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Groily, thanks for reply. Not understanding, fully, just how the mechanism works was probably my main problem. Having it explained and how to check operation was the key to resolving my ‘perceived problem’. I wrongly assumed that the weights, once opened manually and released, would spring back closed. They don’t! The article really proved its worth and thanks to Priory Mags for that.

Regards,

Steve