Rear brake light

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
dave16mct

Re: Rear brake light

Post by dave16mct »

From '56 the foot brake pedal's arm sloped back with the adjuster at the front. On '56 on bikes if it's the other way round the rod usually catches on the pillion footrest lug.
Dave.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

See attached of 1957 model from maintenance manual.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

First of all I made an error in my last posting , so I have deleted the last 2 lines. It appears Steve is only missing the brake rod return spring.
Concerning the question, can the brake rod adjuster be at the front or rear. This must surely depend on what parts you have got. Brake pedals and brake plate arms differ, I am sure brake rods also. So what ever you have must function properly. My last picture shows there should be 1 3/8" travel of the brake arm is the correct adjustment to be achieved. This must be achieved after the chain tensions are set correctly. Note in Steves picture of his 57 bike the brake pedal arm lays slopping backwards. On the 55 bike the pedal arm is upright at about 90 degrees. So the 55 rod must be longer.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
I’d better just clarify. My original picture and missing spring is from my 1955 G3LS. The subsequent picture is from a 1957 - 1964 model (manual ) just to show that adjuster can be brake pedal end.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

OK, thanks all, it seems that my brake rod is correct as it is then.

Malc
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

I’m no expert, but it would seem so!
Steve
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I fitted the switch on the outside on my '55 AJS as it fouled the brake rod when I fitted it on the inside. I've also go the brake rod the wrong way round... apparently. It all works well, so it will stay that way now.
picture76.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Well, this is the configuration that worked best for me! Still missing the spring on the rod though!

Regards,

Steve
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Steve

You should try to get the spring in line with the switch slider for best operation, this is what Rob was alluding to earlier and why mine is set where it is. Yours looks like it could be better, but that could just be an anomaly with the photo.

Regards Mick
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Mick,

Point taken. The photo was taken just prior to final adjustment as I happened to have the iPad with me! Since then I have rotated the spring clip on the rod so as to provide a more direct and lateral movement with the switch ( spring now resides same side as switch ). Apart from a little bit of sticking ( WD 40 remedy) it works well.

Regards,

Steve