1955 G3ls petrol tank fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Tazmantic

1955 G3ls petrol tank fitting

Post by Tazmantic »

Is it normal for the handlebars to hit the petrol tank or is mine the wrong one 🤦??? It all fits and has the cut out for the valve lifter but on full lock they hit..

I’ve fitted the big rubbers at the top but can’t fit the small rubbers as bolts are not long enough (all parts bought from the club) but when tightened up bars still hit 🤷???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
les ward

Re: 1955 G3ls petrol tank fitting

Post by les ward »

Probably the wrong handlebars.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

What should they look like as the rise just after the clamp 🤦???
les ward

Post by les ward »

They need to be as narrow as possible before the rise. You could also experiment with reducing the height of the tank mounting rubbers and trying the handlebars in different positions.
les ward

Post by les ward »

Also check the "stops" on the frame/yoke.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

For clearance with the tank a pal has just cut a piece out of the centre of the new ones for his G80CS restoration, sleeved them internally and rewelded them back together. The join isn't visible under the h/bar clamp.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

les ward wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:30 pm Also check the "stops" on the frame/yoke.
Unless there is something missing I can’t see any adjustment 😬
clive

Post by clive »

Two thoughts.
Is the petrol tank correct for the year? I have a 3 1/2 Gallon tank fitted to my 50 frame and the only way I could get clearance on the handlebars was to fit the thin rubbers below the tanks and the thick rubbers under the frame. Does not explain why the tank bolts don't fit though.
second thought the photo appears to show the handlebars quite far round. Are the stops on the bottom yoke fully slightly rounded triangular with a hole near the end of one (its intended for a padlock when using the steering lock). Its not unusual for them to be cut back to increase movement if someone has been doing some off roading/trials with a smaller tank.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Tazmantic wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm I’ve fitted the big rubbers at the top but can’t fit the small rubbers as bolts are not long enough (all parts bought from the club) but when tightened up bars still hit 🤷???
Hi the bolts should be designed to fit with a standard setup (are the bolts drilled for lockwire? if not you may not have the correct ones), something sounds modified if they don't are you able to post pictures of the bottom of the tank to include the mountings and the frame mounting points, additionally a picture of the steering stop lugs and boss they hit on the frame could be informative.
Paul350

Post by Paul350 »

I have the same problem with my 1961 Model 16. I have fitted the thick rubber spacers below and thin ones above. This lowers the tank and bars clear to the left but hit the fuel filler cap on the right. However the tank now slopes forwards!

Tank has correct mountings for the frame. Don't know if what else to do.

Will post photos later.
Last edited by Paul350 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.