Ride Outs - venues and destinations

Section covering the North East of England (including the old Border section and Northumberland section)
nomisimon

Ride Outs - venues and destinations

Post by nomisimon »

Hi everyone

At the monthly meetings and beyond, we’ve been discussing suitable venues to visit and destinations for food and drinks so we can enjoy our bikes.

Before I update you on the suggestions, there are a few things to note:

• Obviously you need to make sure your bike is roadworthy and reliable…and topped up with fuel
• We will make sure everyone has a map of the route…it may not be the one your satnav likes, we won’t be looking for the fastest route
• There needs to be a leader and a back marker, to make sure we don’t lose anyone
• Depending on numbers, we can have regrouping points along the route
• We will need an estimate of numbers for the venue or destination
• Does anyone feel like running recovery…i.e. follow the pack and pick up any breakdowns? Hopefully none but a capacity for two would be helpful. Those participating could share the expenses for this. This is just a thought at this stage as a van with motorcycle carrying facilities would be needed.

Rather than everyone ride to a fixed point for departure, it may be better to have smaller groups that then meet up, travel from different parts of our region?

Like many of you, but not all, I like to enjoy my bikes in fair weather. The British variety can be a bit unpredictable, so plans may need to be made, changed or even postponed, at the last minute.

NOTE: There are around 50 members in our section now, and I’d like everyone who is interested in ride outs to drop me a line; I’ll add them to a separate contact list. I’d also like to know whether you can do weekends, weekdays or both.

The idea is that we can quickly organise a ride out for a fine day. I’ve no interest in going out on my bike in wet and/or windy weather…it’s unpleasant and potentially dangerous. Here are the suggestions from various members:

Venues

Scaleby Hill Motorcycle Museum, Carlisle – This is run by Mike Barry. I visited the museum briefly last week and it’s tremendous…although he only has one bike with an AJS or Matchless badge on it. He is happy for us to visit after midday as he runs his business in the mornings; Saturdays and Sundays seem to be preferred. Mike asks for a £5 donation per person, but provides unlimited tea, coffee and biscuits. We can of course take a packed lunch. I tried to add photos as attachments, but the system said my JPEGS were invalid. Send an e-mail to northeast@jampot.com if you'd like a photo.

Alston Hub Museum – sadly, they may close. The collection of bikes and cars they had are due to be sold…and are the main attractions for the museum. I’ll keep you posted.

Sillorth Motorcycle Museum – this looks like a ‘must visit’ too, although much of what they have is racing bikes. A bit further than Carlisle.

Craven Collection near York – a bit far for me on a bike, but he has some rather nice bikes.

There are others, one in the Lake District and of course Sammy Miller’s little collection ;)

Corbridge Steam Rally – always good for a day out and for vintage bikes https://www.facebook.com/SouthTyneTract ... neSociety/ Saturday 11th to Sunday 12th June at Corbridge Rugby Club NE45 5AY. I have messaged them to see what arrangements they have for vintage bikes and their vintage riders.

Destinations

These are basically places that we understand are ‘bike friendly’ where we can park safely and have food and drinks…after enjoying a pleasant ride.

Allendale – The Forge Café and Kings Head in the centre of the town.
Hartside – there’s not a lot there right now, since the fire. I understand there is often a food and drink van there, but I suggest we take our own refreshments.
Bellingham – The old library café at the end of the village.
Kielder – Tower Knowe – always popular with bikers.
Rothbury – the Turks Head and Vale Café.
Scots Gap – the Ox Inn.

I’m sure there are others in different parts of our region, so please let me know. The Section Area of the AJS&MOC forum can be used to organise smaller ride outs between members. viewforum.php?f=164&sid=dab0383692e9938 ... 899b47cf56

Let’s have a great 2022 on our bikes.

Cheers, Simon.
Thank God for Southby