Centre Stand Stops - Fitting Upgrade

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
well oiled

Centre Stand Stops - Fitting Upgrade

Post by well oiled »

Before I attack my new centre stand stops with a file, I would like a second opinion. Both stops on my 1960 G5 appear to have had the front stud hole enlarged into more of a slot to allow the stud to fit. The new stops wont fit unless I do likewise. Should I get my round file out or should I be looking for a problem elsewhere?

I have checked with club spares to see if others had reported an issue when fitting the club upgraded stops and drew a blank.

I had a look at the stops on my 1959 G2 and the nearside one has been altered into a slot in much the same way as the 1960 G5, ( I did not look at the offside stop).

Photos attached, any opinions gratefully received.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: Centre Stand Stops - Fitting Upgrade

Post by ajscomboman »

I suspect that the slots are either wear or been done to make fit due to alignment issues. Not that uncommon to fettle parts to fit, after all these old things are getting on now and none will have all the original fixings or fittings. The original stops used to deform very quickly as the simple triangular gusset simply wasn't up to the job of holding the assembly square and true, that's probably why the holes have turned to slots.
well oiled

Post by well oiled »

Thanks for confirming my suspicions ajscomboman, time to start fettling then.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

The holes in both my g2s are actually slots and look like they have always been like that .
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Looks like the stand brackets are supposed to have elongated holes, picture of a new one from the workshop manual page 63.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Ok as an update please see copy of factory drawing from 1958 showing holes not slots.

The original that was used as a pattern did not have slots - however the frame unit did.
042365.jpg
Thanks
Steve
well oiled

Post by well oiled »

Just for the record, I recently ordered a second set of brackets to fit on my 1959 G2. The original brackets I removed both had elongated holes as pictured above, but the club upgraded bracket went on with no modification required. Unlike my G5 where I had to elongate the holes to fit.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

I found the 5/16" round holes on the pair of stand stops I obtained from the Club Spares scheme were about 1/8" too far from the square hole to fit My Model 14. I've filled in these holes with weld,offered them up to my 250 LWT frame with the engine in & re-drilled the hole in the right place to fit.

I have no idea why the Clubs didn't fit in the first place. These are funny bikes with changes sometimes made in production that are not mentioned in Spares Lists and hard to spot differences between the 250 and 350 models.

The Club stops really are proper sturdy, however, and can be easily modified to fit.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I wouldn't put it past them to mod the brackets to make the stands fit when the apprentice made a batch a little bit wrong.

Btw as an exercise I opened Fusion 360 and drew the part and have a dxf of the sheet metal pattern if anyone ever wants to makes the part.