Stator wires mystery

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
mattward

Stator wires mystery

Post by mattward »

Hello Gents and Ladies,

I have recently rebuilt my 1961 Model 8 from basket case to a runner. I have made a rookie mistake however, without checking (foolishly) I installed the later more 'modern looking' two wire Lucas rotor and stator on my bike thinking it must be right. I also have an 1960 14CS basket case too which I now realise was the owner of the later looking stator and rotor. I found this out the hard way, as my duplex primary chain decided to gently grind its way through the installed stator rendering it useless (I think). This was caused due to the space between the stator housing on the 042047(042049 in parts book) Front Chaincase being less or closer to the primary chain than the actual model 8 044060 (044063 in the parts book) case, which has a recessed housing that removes the stator away from the nasty grindy duplex chain. Remarkably the bike was going okay, but not run over a long distance yet...

So, I have found the correct case which still contains the stator and has a dodgy looking Wipac rotor (which I am in the process of replacing). My question(s) is does anyone have any idea what the 3 wires I have on this stator relate to compared to what all of the loom pictures show, which are meant to be orange, white and light green, I have green/brown, green/white, and green/red?

I found Paul Barnfathers excellent 12v conversion post on Ifix and it suggested joining the orange and light green wires together for a 2 wire regulator which is what I have. I am wondering which wires should I join together. Any suggestions would be grand.

Finished... temporarily
top pic damage
middle my wires
bottom Model 8 case, stator, rotor

Cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackstringer

Re: Stator wires mystery

Post by jackstringer »

I know it's a 350 but you might be able to use some of the notes I made when doing stuff on mine.

https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/categor ... less-g3ls/

The 3 wires should go to a basic rectifier to give you some nice DC.
Groily

Post by Groily »

It is difficult to figure out which wire is which when the colour coding doesn't match any of the literature, which yours doesn't. If you know which wire went where before you started, then it ought to be possible to figure out which is the common one using the wiring diagram and original colour coding as a reference, but otherwise it's a very sensitive business measuring the resistances across the wires. A good analog metre might just show the differences but a digital one probably wouldn't.

There are three combinations to test - between each pair of wires. And there will be three different readings. The highest would be between the two output wires, as that's measuring the resistance of all 6 coils; medium would be between the output off 4 coils and what will now have been identified as the common wire by a process of elimination, the lowest will be between the common wire and the lower output '2 coils only' lead. But we are talking very small numbers or fractions of ohms.

As a sort-of general rule, the palest coloured wire is often / usually / almost always the common one, and the darkest is the more powerful output (on Lucas where the outputs are typically 1/3rd off one wire (one pair of coils), 2/3rds off t'other (2 pairs)). WIpac, I think, had a different split of 50/50 on some or all of theirs.

Having said all that, given that your stator wiring is damaged, and that the older unencapsulated stators aren't highly regarded by many / most people, you might want not to spoil that beautifully rebuilt ship for a ha'pence worth of tar, and invest a few final ££ in a new stator, possibly also in a combined regulator / rectifier.
mattward

Post by mattward »

Thanks for the feedback Gents,

Jack, your Blog reminds me exactly of what I have just been through with the wiring, though you may have had a few more bits to start with. Nice job, getting it up and running again.

Bill (Groily), thank you for your comments. I was really not aware that a new stator and rotor was an option... duh. So, I have decided to go that direction, I already have a 12V system using the Pazon Surefire equipment, so an entirely new electrical system will be quite reassuring(hopefullY). I have just ordered a Lucas rotor and stator new from a supplier in England which, believe it or not, was cheaper (and just as fast using DHL) than buying it here in NZ, go figure.

Now, I just have to get the correct Model 8 case (pictured above), repaired and brought up to the same finish as the prior (14CS) case.

Many thanks!!!
Groily

Post by Groily »

Think you are very wise to go that route Matt. And on reading your original post again I see that you already have a suitable regulator, so it makes perfect sense.
Good Luck!
Bill
mattward

Post by mattward »

Ash & I off to the DGR 22-5-22.jpg
After taking Bill's advice to purchase some new parts, repairing the correct cover and purchasing a of new motif', and some gold paint, the new cover was good as new. The old girl went for her first lengthy ride last weekend and performed admirably, as well as showing positive charge on the ammeter! Fantastic.

Possibly of interest to the UK folks, I ordered my stator and rotor from an oufit in the UK which uses DHL as its carrier. The parts were cheaper than I could purchase from NZ and arrived quicker, 4 days... go figure.

Cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.