Engine sprocket/Rotor

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Peter Morris

Engine sprocket/Rotor

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi All,

I cannot see anything in manuals, spares lists or the exploded engine diagram regards duplex chains.

I have a query regards the drive side of my G5, is this sprocket the right way round. The sprocket lines up with the clutch sprocket, but the chain is very close to the chaincase. Should there be a washer/shim between the bearing and the sprocket?
1.jpeg
I have a sort of serrated washer that came with it, that fits on the axle, it is 1/16" thick.... see bottom pic.

....and whilst I'm bothering you all, I also have some sort of a spacer and shim.

The spacer is O/D 1", I/D 5/8" and 5/16" thick.
The shim is O/D 1/16", I/D 5/8" and 20 thou thick.

Neither of the above fit on the axle or the mainshaft, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Morris on Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g80csp11

Re: Engine sprocket/Rotor

Post by g80csp11 »

shim must be 044058 , and id say behind sprocket , with thicker spacer distancing the rotor

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

page 9 gives shim number

just my guess though
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Looks like I need shim then Pete. The 'serrated' washer in the last pic is 1/16" thick, I doubt that is part number 044058
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

The shim 044058 goes between the outer main bearing and the sprocket, then the sprocket (the way round you have it otherwise the chain collides with the rotor), rotor, a flat washer and nut with loctite. The chain is very close to the case normally. I have no idea what that thicker spacer is unless it goes on the foot peg bar? hope that helps, just did mine a couple of months ago.
Last edited by Red Gauntlet on Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
clive

Post by clive »

Peter Morris wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:16 pm Hi All,

I cannot see anything in manuals, spares lists or the exploded engine diagram regards duplex chains.
Peter
I am confused that looks like two single chains rather than a duplex one. Might that be the problem?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks for your help Max. I have to put a washer between the sprocket and the washer too, the chain fouls the rotor otherwise...Maybe the rotor isn't the correct one 🤷🏻??? PO had the sprocket the wrong way round, fortunately he didn't have it running.

It's a new duplex chain Clive, it isn't a great picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

That sprocket looks the wrong way round now, it does not look logical when it is in situ, the longer end is outwards, the chain should be a small bit away from the casing and no washer between the sprocket and rotor. The rotor is correct, they all seem to have some nibbles out of them, well all mine do anyway. Someone did a diagram of this some time ago viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27144
Last edited by Red Gauntlet on Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

If the sprocket is turned the other way round, the chain alignmet is around a 1/4" out, so I think it's the right way round. Alignment is fine this way round (no washer between the sprocket and the bearing).

I have a 1/16" washer between the rotor and sprocket, but the chain is still fouling the rotor a little, I think another 1/16" washer will do the trick, I've ordered some.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peter
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks for the image Max,

I guess I must have a wrong component. My sprocket is (now) the right way round, as per the image, but if there is nothing between the sprocket and the rotor, the chain gets clamped tightly between the two.

I haven't had time go in the garage, (the joys of having a roofing company after stormy weather!). I would usually consult my Guru on all things Matchless, Les at Russell's, but he's off for a good few weeks following an op..... I'll get there in the end :rofl:
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Here is the one off G5 engine 3 in the workshop. Dimensions in inches. I am puzzled as to why your one does not fit and also that there maybe another sprocket that fits but is the wrong one?
pic 1, Engine side
pic 2, Rotor side
pic 3, Engine side dimension depth from sprocket face 0.1"
pic 4, Rotor side dimension depth from sprocket face 0.3"
pic 5, Width 1.0"
+_ tolerances