Oil Grade

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bike63

Oil Grade

Post by bike63 »

Hi, Can anybody tell me what oil is correct for the front chaincase/clutch ?
Cheers,
John
shifter

Re: Oil Grade

Post by shifter »

I use ATF in mine as my primary cover is oil tight, I think 20/50 is the norm

shifter
?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

How long have you got? ;)

I've always used straight 30 which is correct for my H/weight (the owners manual says 'Use engine oil') and have read that 'modern' multigrade, e.g 20/50 isn't ideal as it has anti-friction additives unsuitable for clutch plates. However, like so many things things with our bikes (especially about oils) this is only anecdotal as I've never used it in a chaincase. No doubt many folk use it without any problems.

If you look in your owners manual for the Lightweight it recommends engine oil. See page 10 (Engine oil grades) and page 13 (front chain & clutch oil) here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shifter

Post by shifter »

Sorry my error- in my lightweight and T100 I use ATF as the primary cover's are oil tight and they do not wet sump so no oil mixing but the norm would be the same as the engine oil i.e. sae 40 Not 30 just checked my records. I use 20/50 low detergent same as the engine in my BSA that wet sumps.

shifter
Last edited by shifter on Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
?
clive

Post by clive »

Just to be clear I assume no one is saying SAE 30 is the correct engine oil for our engines. My primary chaincase gets used engine oil (SAE 50) so that it is careful and liberally spread round the local area rather than poured down the road drain. (Oh the things we used to do!)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:19 pm Just to be clear I assume no one is saying SAE 30 is the correct engine oil for our engines.
As it's for the OP's G5 I was referring to the instructions on pages 10 and 13 in the L/W owners manual (my link above) which says 50 Summer, 30 Winter for the engine and to use 'engine oil' for the front chain and clutch.
Lightweight engine oil.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Only time I put SAE 40 in my G80 for winter I managed to seize the timing side bush onto the shaft so I have stuck with 50 summer and winter since! Starting can bit a bit like stirring treacle though if you have not started for a week or two. I certainly would not put SAE 30 in the engine of a bike in Hertfordshire in October :evil:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:49 pm Only time I put SAE 40 in my G80 for winter I managed to seize the timing side bush onto the shaft so I have stuck with 50 summer and winter since! Starting can bit a bit like stirring treacle though if you have not started for a week or two. I certainly would not put SAE 30 in the engine of a bike in Hertfordshire in October :evil:
I'm the same; I've only ever used 50 for the engine and for the B52 gearbox all year although the only time I've ridden in temps below say 5 degC has been shortish section rides of around 20 miles to the Boxing Day and New Year's Day meets. I don't do cold.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Never had a problem with the oils I use
Last edited by shifter on Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
?
shifter

Post by shifter »

Never had a problem with the oils I use and it gets a wee bit cold up this end no matter what season it is.
Any oil is better than no oil in our old bikes so many people say
?