wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
rynner

wiring

Post by rynner »

i am getting my g5 ready for the road and have come across a prob, the original loom has hardened and has had some iffy wires and connections over the years around the battery,
knowing this would need to be sorted for reliability i purchased a replacement loom a while back before i was a forum member, unfortunately when i went to fit it today i have discovered that my stock standard headlamp and ignition switches to not fit the sockets/plugs hardwired to the loom, as i want to get on the road asap i would be grateful for a link to a stock wiring diagram,in colour if possible so as to enable me to replace any suspect areas on my original,
Ryn
Groily

Re: wiring

Post by Groily »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... CHABLE.pdf
I think FIG 98 on page 82 looks like the standard wiring diagram for these? (Page 81 for scrambler version, 2 pix for with and without lights attached.)
Not sure about the plug-in bits (are they for the scrambler? I dunno) but if the wiring remains as original, the diagram ought to serve to tell you what goes where, which is what matters.
However, a lot depends on what has been done over the years - an unmolested original harness would be rare I'm guessing. You could replace burnt or hardened wires one at a time I imagine, to keep whatever you've got the way it is (in the hope that it's actually capable of working)?
rynner

Post by rynner »

thanks,
my loom is largely unmolested apart from the battery connections,it is old and faded and when i read the colours in the manuals,ie dark red,maroon and violet i get concerned as my corresponding wires have faded to shades of pink,i have a multimeter so i will just work my way through it,i am not completely out of my depth as i believe that the components and their feed cable colours are the same across all british vehicle electrics of the era and i have the list somewhere from completely rewiring my land rover s2a 88, i have found a great lightweight 12v conversion thread on the forum which has your supplied diagram and also an upgraded diagram with concise details/pics of fitting a more modern reg/rectifier/ignition set up which is helpful,i have sent a message to the loom supplier and awaiting their reply as to why my male light/ignition switches do not fit their female sockets,
thanks again,
Ryn
Groily

Post by Groily »

Sounds good! Going to 12v with a combined regulator/rectifier (with or without a nice ignition system upgrade) would enable you to get rid of a fair bit of the wiring at the switches and eradicate a few potential points of failure while improving overall electrical health. A lot of your new loom might be redundant though!
That's the route I think I'd take on one of those - if the alternator is up for it. I did the same with an alternator B31 I had (all Lucas in that case, but pretty much the same wiring bar no neat plug-ins). With 20-20 hindsight, I should ideally have upgraded the alternator as it struggled a bit at prolonged low speeds with coil igniton and an over-optimistically high powered halogen headlamp. I settled for 36/36W in the end, which was 'adequate' as they say. Reckon you'd be in roughly the same situation.
Hope you get it sorted to your liking - fewer wires than on the Landie, that's for sure!.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The original wiring diagram doesn't show a fuse so be sure to fit one in a battery lead.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rynner

Post by rynner »

when i got the g5 i checked it over and it was completely empty of oil and i filled to the right levels,turned it over to get the oil around it and put a small 6v battery on and it started first kick, after checking that the oil was circulating and no untoward noises etc i turned it off, then i ordered a loom,amal filter(by k&n),sourced a l/h sidepanel and waited for the time to do the work. the loom not fitting has thrown me a bit but today i wired the battery and ignition on a dedicated,total loss, switched and fused circuit,i put the headlight and seat/tank back on and again it started first kick,
this makes up for the loom problem, insurance will be bought tomorrow and a brake light and horn jury rigged up to be legal(ish)
one thing i am cautious about is the alternator, i have disconnected and taped over the alternator wires at their first junction, i presume that this is ok and taking it for a spin around the lanes wont fry or burnout the alternator?,
Ryn
Groily

Post by Groily »

rynner wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:36 pm taking it for a spin around the lanes wont fry or burnout the alternator?,
Should be fine.
Hope it stays dry and the rest of the beast performs well.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Does Colin Farrington, Club member, not still make looms (Catmando Services?)? I bought one from him years ago and it was spot on.

Johnny B
rynner

Post by rynner »

thanks for the info x2,
the maker of the loom got back to me,it seems i have to file my switches a tad as they are now metric, went for a spin and a few niggles like brakes and kickstart return spring,
Ryn