g5 fuel lines and unions

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
rynner

g5 fuel lines and unions

Post by rynner »

i am returning my g5 to the road and am in the process of ordering some parts needed from the amoc parts service,my right hand fuel tap snapped at the tank thread end and will need replacing,
my bike is 100% original and has been unused for a long time,i have fired it up with new oil and checked circulation,charging etc and all is good and ready to go
i am concerned about the original hardened and yellowed fuel lines failing due to age when i start using the bike and as i am ordering a new tap a new set of lines and unions seems prudent.
are there replacement sets available for my bike or do i have to remake a set myself?, if so could any fellow member help with what i need to order,lines and unions and compatibility with modern fuel etc,the lightweight section of the parts service does not have them listed hence my post
thanks.
Red Gauntlet

Re: g5 fuel lines and unions

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Just ensure that the hose complies with SAEJ30R6 and you will be ok with all modern fuels. Some petrol taps you can find online are not fit for purpose so choose carefully. It maybe prudent to add a clear fuel filter just to make sure that there are no rust particles or other detritus getting into the carb.
rynner

Post by rynner »

i will be buying my tap from the amoc parts dept and want to combine an order if suitable parts are available,i have found a thread on here where black pipe,a tee and clips are used but i am hoping to source genuine looking bits,i have seen a genuine looking premade new pipe and fittings on a u.s site for BSA/AMAL,similar in appearance but not listed for mine,
thanks
R
Last edited by rynner on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

All the parts are available to fabricate period looking pipelines, probably the best selection is from:

https://www.gsparkplug.com/fuel-oil

Thick wall clear plastic tube can be found here:

http://www.pvctubeonline.co.uk/

It doesn't meet current specification but I've been using it for 3 years now with no signs of detrimental effect from fuel or sunlight.

Hope that gives you some ideas

Regards Mick