Steering out

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Oldcarguy

Steering out

Post by Oldcarguy »

Last time I rode i noticed the handlebars slightly off centre. Is it a case of undoing something to let the fork legs re centre or could something be bent?
I wait in anticipation.

Iain
raffles

Re: Steering out

Post by raffles »

The usual cause of this is that the wheels are out of line.Easilly fixed by adjusting the rear wheel
check with a staightedge dont forget to allow for different tyre width front and back
Tony
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Are you saying that the front wheel is out of alignment with the 'bars or that it's aligned correctly but you have to turn the 'bars in order to go straight ahead?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

Hi Tony I have recently change front & rear tyres but I didn't move the adjusters and the distance between tyre & swinging arm is spot on. What I was thinking like my other bike that the top yoke could be adjusted.
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

Spriddler what I mean is going down the road in a straight line the handlebars are slightly to the right only notices this as it was the first time going straight for more than 20 yards and hadn't noticed it before.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Oldcarguy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:39 pm Spriddler what I mean is going down the road in a straight line the handlebars are slightly to the right only notices this as it was the first time going straight for more than 20 yards and hadn't noticed it before.
Yes, I get that, but is the front wheel at exactly 90 deg to the 'bars? If it is then the front and back wheels are probably out of alignment (as Raffles suggested).
If the front wheel isn't aligned with the 'bars (i.e isn't at 90 deg to the 'bars) then there may be a twist in the forks or the stanchions have been clamped out of line in the top and/or bottom yokes.

Worst case is that the frame or forks are bent, but I doubt it.
Oldcarguy

Post by Oldcarguy »

OK so the forks have no way to, shall say , back to a relaxes position, I have a 1995 Zephyr1100 that has clamps top and bottom to align the legs, what does the centre nut do just the headstock bearings?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It's important that you reply as to whether or not the wheel is aligned to the 'bars. I.e. at 90 deg to the 'bars (in order to pin down where the misalignment is occurring).
Oldcarguy wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:31 pm .......what does the centre nut do just the headstock bearings?
Yes, by drawing the yokes together.
Have a look at this article which has a very clear illustration.

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Sus ... y_1966.pdf

(You probably know you can enlarge it by using the + Zoom button).

Archive rotate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.