Model 8 Footrest arms

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
mattward

Model 8 Footrest arms

Post by mattward »

Hello, this is my first post. I have mostly been enjoying your wonderful banter and answers without needing to ask directly thus far... :D I have a basket case 1961 Model 8 which I am restoring, I have a single footrest arm which looks to be a genuine part, and the other not very likely. I have been busily searching the wonder web trying to find a spare to purchase and am at a loss... :headbang: So my question is would the G3L model footrest arms do the job? I have looked at several online and they look pretty close albeit slightly different in shape... If anyone has any suggestions I would be stoked!!! :beer: cheers...

My apologies for not enough details first up... Hopefully, the pics show my problem. The bottom footrest arm "fat one" is a puzzle, as the part number doesn't seem to have any relevance whatsoever. The top footrest arm is close to the suggested part number as per the spare parts list 042457 so only one number out, a typo maybe? Any thoughts would be awesome. Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rangy65

Re: Model 8 Footrest arms

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi in the bottom picture the top foot rest is the correct one. The shape of the engine outer cases prevents using a heavy weight foot rest the bend is wrong. I suggest you hunt around for the right part.
mattward

Post by mattward »

Hi Rangy65, cheers for that. I figured the 042456 part would be sweet, it fitted on either side whilst having the engine sidecovers sitting in place. I find the part number difference quite interesting... Would any of the members here be likely to have a spare arm/hanger up for grabs? I have checked everywhere I can think of without any success so far, I don't think that many lightweights made it to NZ during their heyday.

If I have no luck in the short term, I am thinking of doing a bit of extra spacing and grinding of the 015451... fingers crossed =)
mattward

Post by mattward »

Hi All, it was suggested to me that maybe the 'fat-one' footrest arm is off a G2/14CS, this is quite likely as I have another very much basket case 1960 14CS too. Unfortunately it seemed to me at the time of kick off, that it was less complete than the Model 8. I've owned these two basket cases since 1988 and they were literally unlabelled in nail boxes, cake tins, and beer crates filled with bits (they were disassembled by the former owner in about 1977).

Long story short, if it seems a possibility, I would be happy to swap my cutaway 14CS footrest arm for a Model 8 one if anyone might be interested... I have other parts off the 14CS which may also be of use if anyone is interested too.

I am a member of the club, so if you wish to contact me feel free.