Forks

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Red Gauntlet

Forks

Post by Red Gauntlet »

I presume the G5 forks are not the same as the late G2 CSR forks (Heavyweight style) and maybe they are longer, my dilemma is that the forks on my G5 are seized and the previous owner has attempted to remove the innards by forcing something in from the bottom as there is a very small crack and slight bulge part way up one slider coming from the inside. The damper rods are not straight and I cannot get these apart no matter what I try, now I do have a set of G2CSR forks in the shed that I may be able to refurb, but I feel this might be fruitless, sadly this stops my G5 project dead in its tracks until I can find a set of forks. Does anyone know if the late G2CSR forks and the G5 forks are the same? Looking at them I cannot see a difference but I have not dismantled them yet.
Red Gauntlet

Re: Forks

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Over to day two of the forks saga, after messing about with the original forks I was surprised that when I got home today ready to give them some severe heat with the blow lamp, they had become loose overnight, very odd and no explanation to that one, anyway the stanchions are no good but at least they work again, I stripped the G2CSR ones that were in my shed for 40 years and although a bit rusty in places have come apart and are useable, the nice thing is that they are exactly the same as the G5 ones so I will refurb both sets one for each bike as I am sure my G2 ones are probably shot too.
Now question, there are both plastic and brass fork bushes available, a choice, is there a preference or problems associated with either, I think the plastic were original equipment from memory.
56G80S

Re: Forks

Post by 56G80S »

There's discussion on this topic if you do a "Search" - magnifying glass, top right of your screen.

I plan to refurb my forks next winter, mainly for cosmetic reasons for once although there is a weepy seal.

I fitted plastic bushes many years ago and they've been fine. I will probably fit the same again as I have new ones and a set of seals in my tin box. Tightwad.

JohnnyB