Model 8 front wheel offset

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
misterf

Model 8 front wheel offset

Post by misterf »

I saw while browsing, several posts on the offset dimension for the model 8. But nobody actually stated what it was. I have just had my wheels rebuilt but the front is incorrect and sits out of centre by over a quarter of an inch. The builder is happy to correct it but wants me to tell him the dimension I require between the brake hub face and the edge of the rim, but I don't know it. I have put the wheel into the forks and measured between the mudguard mounting lugs and the rim in several places around the circumference of the rim but there is too much variance in the dimension, as much as .050". So what I would really like is the definitive factory dimension. Does anybody know it please.

Thank you
clive

Re: Model 8 front wheel offset

Post by clive »

You have had no reply on this and although I cannot help my comment will bring it back up the list. I thought that AMC wheels were built without offsets. Wnen I first got my 48 G3L rigid the front wheel was built without offset but did not fit squarely between the fork stanchions. I spent much time tweaking the rim over by adjusting the spokes. All good but it was some years later that I established the the reason for the problem was that one of the spacers was wrong for the year. So my advice is check you have all the correct spacers before changing the offset. Hopefully one of the lightweights on here will be able to say if an offset is correct ;) .
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
misterf

Post by misterf »

Thanks for your response Clive. You are spot on with the spacer business, I read that the 350 has a spacer on the front axle, well mine is a 350, it doesn't have a spacer and there is absolutely no where to put one if I had to. I know that that the centre of the wheel has to move kerbside by 0.2885" , establishing a dimension from the rim is very difficult in view of the variation I have. I will probably average it all out and go to the plus side, giving me the option to machine the spacer on the brake plate if I have to. Thanks again for taking the time to offer assistance.
David Fenn
clive

Post by clive »

Sounds good just make sure you do not force the sliders out wider at the hub than it is higher up. if you do the forks will not go up and down satisfactorily. I would not worry to much about taking measurements, just work on the principle that if the forks are not stiff you have probably got it right! Remember that when trying to centre the wheel rim between the stanchions it only needs to move across half the distance that it is out. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
misterf

Post by misterf »

Hello Clive, yes, comments re, half the dimension noted. Thanks again.

David Fenn