Suspect carburetter

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: Suspect carburetter

Post by ajscomboman »

The barrel slides of the studs and may require a gentle tap with the Birmingham screwdriver but be careful as it's easy to break the cast iron fins. I'd say that you've found your problem though. I've not seen that much oil spread around the gasket area. Once off, I'm assuming you'll try lapping the head to the barrel to see just how much of a fit there is, or more likely isn't!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

vigo wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:41 pm About a year ago I took the head off after fitting new gasket and oil was where it shouldn't be but hadn't seemed to migrate into cylinder,
I know absolutely nothing about L/W's but are you using the correct head gasket because according to the workshop manual it should look something like this........

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... manual.jpg

LW head gaske 57 to 65.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
vigo

Post by vigo »

Took some measurements and this copper and composite, gets compressed by 0.7mm before the centre spigot around cylinder, bottoms out.
Bought as non runner the gasket was pinched on the spigot wth no compression, perhaps this cockup warped the head. Common since then is the copper gasket ring is being forced outwards, egg shaped. Can only imagine gas leaking. Could be the alloy head needs lapping as already suggested. Is there another choice of gasket, maybe I could try that.
I will return to bike in 4 weeks wth some carb paste and eng blue.
Thanks for your help gents.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Put 'Head gasket' in the search box on club spares site and you'll get a copper 042840 and an ali option 042840A.
I'm not familiar with the 'copper ring' that you mentioned and shows in your photo. See page 3 of the spares list here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'