Matchless dark red

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Matchless dark red

Post by Roderick »

Am I correct to think that the colour "Maroon" listed by RS Classic Motorcycle Paints for the 1959 Matchless g2 250cc is the same darker red that was used on some Lightweight 350cc machines too?

(RS list only Cardinal RED for the 350cc but many were painted in a darker red than Cardinal Red which is a very bright red).

Rod
Roderick

Re: Matchless dark red

Post by Roderick »

Sorry, I should have said RS list TARTAN RED FOR THE 350cc, not Cardinal Red and they are now RS Bike Paint.

Rod
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have been looking through the archives for this colour and there is listed...........

Jaguar signal red
Vauxhall Monza red
Rover damask red

How accurate these are I don't know, but I used Damask red on my 36 Panther, it is a lovely shade but looks too red in the first photo, I am going to use it on my 58 G11

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

VMCC use RS and I think the colours are a good match. http://www.vmccshop.net/c/591/paint
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Damask red seems a popular colour. I am sure I used it on a James or Bown. Although it looked more brighter than the original colours, which looked darker, like maroon
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hiya i used the RS paint 'Maroon' for my 1959 G5 engine case detail as it matched the original tank very well. On my second G5 which is still in surgery i used 'Cardinal Red' on the tank. It just needs finishing with some pin striping & clear coat.

Cheers
Steve
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Some more info............
Cardinal red = Jaguar signal red
Tartan red = Vauxhall Monza red
Maroon = BMC Damask red
only dead fish go with the flow
McMaz

Post by McMaz »

I seem to recall a similar post fairly recently where Rob H made the observation that all the information re AMC colours is way out of date. How true – to get paint mixed to a specific colour you need an up to date vehicle paint code. If you have a part in its original colour there's the option of using a colour matching service seems but it seems to be very pricey.

Also is Cardinal red the same colour as Tartan red? – if I'm reading it correctly, the info at http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Tan ... _codes.pdf seems to suggest that it is (2nd paragraph from the bottom of the page).

Is there any chance of the club providing a definitive and current guide on AMC colours?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Mc-Maz wrote:-
Is there any chance of the club providing a definitive and current guide on AMC colours?
All available AMC information is already on the Christians Archives/Tech. Articles or much discussed on this forum.
Is there a volunteer out there whose expertise is paint/auto refinishing who can provide up to date information?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

No volunteers to help "The Club" ???