Speedo correct cable

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rangy65

Speedo correct cable

Post by Rangy65 »

Morning all, i have just received my speedo's back from refurbishment - and what a fine job Ashley did of them.
G5 speedo.jpg
However all is not well, i asked Ashley why both speedo's failed and he said i had used the wrong cable.

These Smiths 2 and a half Inch units are of the SN magnetic type and because i had unknowingly used a Chronometric cable it bugged them up.

So looking for a new cable and the 350 takes a longer cable than the 250 i can see where i have got things wrong.

The club only lists a cable for the 250 magnetic head at 5' 2'' its too short.

The club does list a magnetic cable
9000715L H273B.SPEEDO CABLE 5 - Speedo Cable 5"5" As 900071/5 But For Magnetic head speedo.

This will be a bit longer than the 5' 3'' thats supposed to be on the 350 but will it do?

Incidentally another well known parts supplier lists the cable incorrectly for the lightweights as Speedometer cable 5'3", chronometric 350cc Lightweights

What do you all think?

Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Re: Speedo correct cable

Post by Janet »

I don't know who your well known supplier is but if the club spares don't have what you want, you could try A Gagg & Sons, Nottingham. I was able to discuss speedo cables with them from a place of ignorance and the nice man I spoke to explained the differences to me.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Thank You Janet!!!!!!!!

Very much appreciated :) :D
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

I recently bought this cable http://www.feked.com/speedometer-cable- ... nd-g5.html from feked presuming it was correct for the 350 LW but it does say to fit chronometric speedometer, is it fair to then assume that this is in fact not right? if so can you let me know how you get on with gagg and sons and i'll order the right one monday, haven't actullay riddent the bike with this fitted so hopefully no damage done to the original speedo.
Thanks
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Will do, ordered one froim Gaggs this PM - they said it would be in the post first class and i might even get this Saturday morning.

He did mention a short nut was needed for G5's so it will be intresting to compare it with my growing number of cables

Let you know if it works.

Cheers

Steve
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

Hi Steve
Did you receive and fir the cable from gaggs? any good?
Janet

Post by Janet »

I do hope so or I'm going to feel bad for recommending them.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Er sorry for not comimg back on this one - the cable from Gaggs is spot on even came with an instruction sheet describing the different cables and fitting for each speedo type.
Service was great ordered it late Friday came 1st thing Monday.
My new speedo and new cable are performing well not a hint of wavy needle- i even went up to 70 to give it a real test!!

Gaggs are completely recommended

Thanks Janet :beer:

Cheers
Steve
ditchweed

Post by ditchweed »

thanks janet and steve, ordered it from gagg's and it arrived today, fitted it and seems to work great haven't been able to give it a proper test yet but glad i swapped out the cables before the chronometric one from feked knackered my speedo.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Just ordered a speedo cable from Gaggs who have a new name now, very helpful service, anyway the speedo on my G5 appears to be a magnetic type Nemag SN speedo as pictured earlier in this post by Steve, I have never seen a Chronometric 60mm speedo, they obviously may exist as the parts list suggests a cable 044283 which is listed as a Chrono type, although the original parts list does not appear to distinguish between Magnetic and Chrono. Can someone post a picture of a 60mm Chronometric as an example, maybe somebody changed the head on my bike in the past, quite possibly or is there a level of confusion over the whole issue, it is after all 60 years after the fact. The original numbers appear to be speedo head 044037 and cable 044283.