rear engine cover

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
active997

Re: rear engine cover

Post by active997 »

My G5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Nice - you need to get a correct front mudguard though. Is that an alloy guard? I could be persuaded to swap you my spare guard for it plus an adjustment, as I'd like to build an off-roader Model 8!!!!

Cheers, Al
active997 wrote:My G5
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for your email and for your time.
I have upload some pictures of my bike.( i will start restoration next month)
I dont know if the pipe is for 250. The footrest is under the gear box drain plug.
About the centre stand, my bike did not sit correctly. You can see that in my attachments.

Regards
Andreas
Right, 1st of all looks like a nice dry clean engine and I would say the footrest is in the correct position and you still have the fully enclosed chain guard which is a bonus (took me over a year to find one and it was expensive). The front pipe doesn't look quite right but its hard to tell just resting there so separate it from the silencer, remove the footrest and push it right home into the head and see how high it sits along the bottom. If it sits over the place where the footrest bolts on then it's wrong. The gear lever is bent downwards so that is not helping and the reason why that is almost touching the exhaust too. The stand doesn't look bad but the wheels(back or front) aren't off the ground so it looks like the mounting brackets are worn. A nice bike though that should be pretty easy to get back to pristine condition. I may be able to help you out with a side stand for it in a few months time as well (I am trying to get a few made that will do the job so get back to me if you are interested)

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi, Al,
Yes im interested to swap it. How do you want to do this?
Do you want to send you some more picture of it by the way?

Cheers,
Andreas
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi Paul,
First of all i would like to thank you, and all of you here in forum for your support.
I will check today about the pipe and let you know. Yes im interested about the side stand.

Kind regards
Andreas
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Paul - can you post what you did to fix the centre stand somewhere - either here or some photos/text - it would be VERY useful indeed to the Lightweighteers here (we should really try to get some up-to-date tips on how to sort out common problems with these bikes, in one document).

BTW, my M8 is too far forward but a PO has actually welded an extra bit of metal to each leg...ugh!

Thanks, Al
Ozmadman wrote:
active997 wrote:Hi Paul,

"...The centre stand in your picture and in the picture of my bike IS too far forward due to wear in the mounting brackets (they still pivot in the same place though) mine has since been fixed and the bike now sits correctly (ie: high enough to raise the back wheel clear of the ground) if yours doesn't get back to me and I will tell you how to cure it easily."

Paul
active997

Post by active997 »

Paul, it seems that is front of the bolt and not over?!?
Anyway, i will order new pipe and silencer!
By the is something missing in the third picture? (red cycle).

Andreas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Paul, it seems that is front of the bolt and not over?!?
Anyway, i will order new pipe and silencer!
By the is something missing in the third picture? (red cycle).

Andreas
The pipe looks fine, maybe think about getting it re-chromed as you have the original one with the baffled end. If you get a new one it will be a straight through pipe and noisy like mine but that's how I like it!! There is nothing missing apart from maybe a small rubber buffer that pushes in the small hole in this bracket, it just provides a cushion for the main stand when it is up instead of it just hitting the bracket metal to metal.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:Paul - can you post what you did to fix the centre stand somewhere
Thanks, Al
Hi Al
I only have pictures of the knackered brackets and not what they looked like once fixed so I have enclosed 3 pics (two of the knackered one and one drawing of the fix)

Just to clarify, the bolt head goes on the "wear" side and the nut just behind the welded brace on the back of the bracket. Try to keep the bolt as low as possible as the higher up the bolt the more upright the stand. I was lucky, I found some bolts with reasonably shallow heads so no filing was needed. These are easy to do as they just unbolt and as long as you don't disturb the stand (THE BIKE MUST BE ON A SIDE STAND OR RESTING AGAINST A WALL OR SOMETHING, NOT ON THE MAIN STAND) or the centre square bar that goes all the way through it will take you a few minutes each one to get off and on... JUST A SMALL CORRECTION ON MY DRAWING.. ON THE SIDE VIEW THE HOLES ARE LABELLED THE WRONG WAY ROUND, small thing but didn't want to confuse anyone!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
active997

Post by active997 »

I also like it noisy Paul :)