rear engine cover

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
active997

rear engine cover

Post by active997 »

Happy new year to everyone. :)
Does anyone know the part number and from where i can find the rear engine cover for my G5 please?

Thanks
Regards
Andreas
Rob Harknett

Re: rear engine cover

Post by Rob Harknett »

I could search the G5 parts list for you ( taking a guess what year your bike is, as they could differ )
It seems you do not have a parts list for your bike, which you should really have.
I think the best advice would be to get a parts list, its not only handy for finding out part numbers.
You will aslo discover the correct name given to a part in question, which can change name. Like for late 1950's its " cover,
rear engine plate " Often refered to as dynamo cover for dynamo machines, but then alternators came along.
For your G5 it may be named " cowling, rear engine plate " pt. no. 044256 but you are refering to a rear engine cover, I assume you mean the cover that goes behind the engine covering the engine plates. So do not take my reply as correct for the part you want a pt. no. for. If correct note in the parts list the 250 cowling has a different pt. no.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

This is a very hard to find item, there are three different part numbers but they are all basically the same shape, I have made two myself and I bought one from a club member. Rob is correct with his reply it is called a "cowling rear engine plate" and part numbers are as follows........
G2 042404
G2CS 042643
G5 044256

I have been looking for one of these for over 2 years and failed to find one, you could put an advert in the wanted section, if you need more info get back to me.
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
active997

Post by active997 »

Thanks Rob, thanks cbranni for your help. :)
My bike is 1962.
I have a part list, but is on the web, i cannot download it. Is there any link that i can buy one? Thanks for the correct name "cowling, rear engine plate". I will put an advert in the wanted section, hope to find one, i have upload a picture showing the part im looking for. . By the way my bike have model 8 frame(don't know the reason) and g5 engine. Does this matter?

I'm sorry this seems like a silly question :shock: In most G5 pictures that i have seen, the footrests is under the gear lever. My footrests are further behind. It cannot be fitted in other way due to the exhaust pipe. :)

Regards
Andreas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

My Model 8 has a Model 8 frame from 1962 and a G5 engine from 1960 - it's not important except to the purists, as the engines are identical except for the engine number system.

As for the footrest, mine (on my Model 8s and G5) are mounted about 3-4 cms further back than in the picture in your post. Has someone tried to make a cafe racer of your bike at some time, with rear pegs and drop bars?!!!!

The engine cowl can be a bit hard to find. I don't think I have a spare one, sadly, but will look for you. If you don't get a reply to your advert then try one of the big British autojumbles - often there's no Lightweight stuff at all, but on a few occasions I've found a lot of stuff - feast or famine - BUT! you have to know what you are looking for...
Cheers, Al
active997 wrote:Thanks Rob, thanks cbranni for your help. :)
My bike is 1962.
I have a part list, but is on the web, i cannot download it. Is there any link that i can buy one? Thanks for the correct name "cowling, rear engine plate". I will put an advert in the wanted section, hope to find one, i have upload a picture showing the part im looking for. . By the way my bike have model 8 frame(don't know the reason) and g5 engine. Does this matter?

I'm sorry this seems like a silly question :shock: In most G5 pictures that i have seen, the footrests is under the gear lever. My footrests are further behind. It cannot be fitted in other way due to the exhaust pipe. :)

Regards
Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote: I'm sorry this seems like a silly question :shock: In most G5 pictures that i have seen, the footrests is under the gear lever. My footrests are further behind. It cannot be fitted in other way due to the exhaust pipe. :)
Regards
Andreas
Hi Andreas

You may have a 250 front pipe fitted? It's a shorter stroke engine and even though the front pipe from that will fit properly into the head of a 350 it will sit about and inch higher along the bottom run so will obscure the footrest fitting nut and you will not be able to fit it.

regards

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi Paul,

Did you mean the exchaust pipe ? I will check this tommorow, is there a part number on that pipe?
Al, also in my G5 is about 3-4 cms further back from that in the picture. I have no idea about a cafe racer with rear pegs and drop bars :? What that means? Im new with G5, i bought it from Birmingham and im now in the proccess of restoration. Do i need to change anything in order to fit footrests correctly?

Regards
Andreas
active997

Post by active997 »

In the link bellow, is exacly how my footrest is (this is not my G5). Actually my centre stand is further back and thats why the footrest is back? :?
I will post a picture tomorow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATCHLESS-G5- ... 7675.l2557

Regards
Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Hi Paul,

Did you mean the exhaust pipe ? . Do i need to change anything in order to fit footrests correctly?
Regards
Andreas
Yes the front pipe, because of the 250 having a shorter stroke engine the distance between where the pipe goes into the head and the lower run of the pipe is shorter than a 350 front pipe. If you try to put a 250 pipe onto a 350 engine it will be too high so you won't be able to get the footrest on. If you foot rest looks like the one in the picture then that's fine, mine is exactly like that too (the footrest arm sits just under the gearbox drain plug)and you probably do have the correct front pipe(there is no number on it) You can alter it a bit by moving it on the spline, this may move it forward a bit but then it will probably be too low for a comfortable gear change or it will hit the exhaust and just check that it is not bent!! see picture of my bike attached (take no notice of the pillion footrest angle that has now been corrected). The silencer on that picture you posted of the G5 also looks wrong as it shouldn't have a mounting tag on the silencer. The centre stand in your picture and in the picture of my bike IS too far forward due to wear in the mounting brackets (they still pivot in the same place though) mine has since been fixed and the bike now sits correctly (ie: high enough to raise the back wheel clear of the ground) if yours doesn't get back to me and I will tell you how to cure it easily.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi Paul,
Thank you very much for your email and for your time.
I have upload some pictures of my bike.( i will start restoration next month)
I dont know if the pipe is for 250. The footrest is under the gear box drain plug.
About the centre stand, my bike did not sit correctly. You can see that in my attachments.

Regards
Andreas